The Realisation

Marta's POV:

Ransom parked in his house's garage and I was astonished by the house from the outside. It was beautiful. I was so filled with adrenaline and I finally took a moment to take in everything that happened. This man. That everyone told me was bad, dumb, a worthless playboy, just went out of his way to save me and my family. I also looked at him and realized something. Meg was right. I liked him.

Ransom's POV:

I don't know what just happened. The normal me would've left Marta by herself to figure it out but no. On this one, I would take full responsibility. It wasn't just that my grandfather said it. Something about Marta, something about the kind and loving woman, made me want to change. Be good. My face reddened when I once again realized that I really liked her.

We walked inside the house and Marta immediately looked awed by her surroundings. I also saw my house in a new light. I always wanted more, but I realized, all I needed was right here in my house. We walked in and I don't know what overcame me that moment, but I blurted out,

"I really like you."

I regretted it immediately. She stopped and stared at me.

I quickly said, "Oh my gosh, I shouldn't have said that. Darn it. It's okay if you don't feel the same. Darn," as I hastily retreated to my room.

Marta's POV:

I just stood there processing what he said. The truth was, I did too. And maybe this is what Harlan wanted. Harlan was complaining to me for the past week about all the problems in his family. All ranging from embezzlement to cheating. I looked up and saw Ransom retreat to his bedroom. I followed him unsure.

I knocked on his door 3 times.

"Come in," an exhausted voice that I couldn't recognize the usually snarky Ransom in replied.

I slowly opened the door and saw him sitting on his bed with his hands in his head. I sat at the edge of the bed. I looked at him once before deciding I had to tell him the truth for two reasons.

1. He deserves it
2. If I lie, I'm going to puke (it's a thing I've had since childhood.)

"Hey. Ransom. Look at me." I said, surprising myself with the softness in my tone.

He looked up reluctantly and I smiled.

"I do too."

Ransom's POV:

Marta came into my room and I expected her to be mad, even disappointed. I was so pissed with myself. If what happened next though, was foretold by someone, I would've laughed in their faces. She made me look at her and said 3 words that changed everything.

"I do too."

My eyes and heart lit up as I moved next to her. She leaned her head on my shoulder and I put my arm around her. I think grandfather would be happy that we found a little peace.

Marta looking up at me.

"What now?"

I replied, "Now we sleep, and tomorrow we create a ploy against my dumbass family to make sure nothing gets out."

"Ok..."she replied. "For the record though, what do you have against your family?"

I chuckled lightly, "Well, I had nothing against grandfather, but the rest of my family...what can I say. I saw something on my grandfather's desk yesterday which makes me think my dad is cheating on my mom, and you'll realize soon enough how idiotic the rest of the Thombrey's are."

"We'll see," she said.

Oh like hell she'll see. But for now, I was happy. I know grandfather would be happy with this, and to hell with the will or whatever. I don't care what he does with the money. One thing I do want to know, however, is if my dad was really cheating. But that's for tomorrow.