(Bonus Story) Darren's Mate - Call Me

Beginne am Anfang

Which one of them was it?

One of the young men stepped forward.

He was well dressed in an colourful way, wearing a tailored, patterned shirt and tan chinos instead of shorts or jeans. His smooth caramel skin gleamed and his black hair was cut and styled like something you'd see on a billboard.

Tall (not as tall as Darren, but then again few people were) and a bit stocky, with long dark eyelashes and a wide plump mouth.

Alpha, his senses shrieked at him, but at that moment Darren couldn't have cared less.

His mouth fell open and the man, who looked to be in his early 20's like the rest of the group, smirked down at him.

He crouched in front of Darren, still splayed out in the dust, and tucked a folded piece of paper into the front of his old, worn flannel button-up.

"Call me," he said.

Then he turned around and walked away without a second glance, his group of friends whooping and whistling around him.

Call me.

"Call me," Darren muttered under his breath. "Call him."

One word had been scrawled beneath the number.

Spencer.

"This is Spencer Flores."

"Eh. Yeah. Darren Rivers calling. From the, eh, range?" Smooth. 

"Right." 

There was a long pause. Was it too long? Was he supposed to say something?

"So do you want to come meet my pack?"

"Huh?" 

Shouldn't we meet each other first?

"Or I could come meet yours?"

Well, he was supposed to meet up with the guys for Sunday dinner at Ronan's...

"Sure. I mean - I guess, yeah."

What do I know about it anyway? If this is what he wants...

So he invited him to dinner.

"You invited him for dinner?" Kit asked incredulously, dart half-raised in his hand, forgotten.

They were at Marvin's, hanging out and waiting for the pool table to become free. It was a Friday night, and fairly busy. Dan was working late and Kit had come straight from his shift, dark blue scrubs spilling out of his old shoulder bag.

Darren had just told him about the events of the weekend.

"You tell me that you met you mate - after going on for twenty minutes about a damn car show - and then you just - ?"

He threw the dart with a disgusted growl, hitting the board dead-centre.

"You invite him to Sunday dinner! With your entire family! With two days notice!"

"Keep your panties on. He wanted to."

"Then that's even fucking weirder. Who chooses that for a first date? What's his name?"

"Spencer."

"Twat name."

"Watch it."

Darren growled, and Kit threw up his hands in a 'I surrender' gesture.