New beginnings

''Please ensure all electronic devices are switched off or that you have put them on airplane mode'' The air hostess announced over the intercom while passengers scrambled to get their suitcases in the overhead lockers while the rest were settling in their seats, tightening their seat belts.

I shuffled into my window seat, securing my seat belt and turning my phone off, trying to save the battery life for the whole journey. A tall figure hovered next to me, hearing him shove his bag in the cabin above our seats. I peered over and inhaled anxiously at this tall, very good-looking man sit next to me. He smiled at me as he was sitting down. I turned back towards the window, staring at the propellers starting up.

The air hostess walked down the aisle and counted each seat, making note of the total passengers present in the aircraft. Soon enough, they informed us that we would be taking off and the lights dimmed. I closed my eyes in preparation for the take-off. I hated the feeling of being pushed back into your seat during take offs and closing me eyes made me feel safer than watching as we lift off from the ground.

''Are you okay there?'' the man beside me questioned after I opened me eyes. I gulped down my stored saliva and nodded. ''I am all good, thank you. Just not fond of airplanes in general'' He smiled as he registered that he was now sitting next to one of those anxious fliers. ''Guess I could keep you company to distract you from the thoughts of being in the air.''

I blinked at him a couple of times, slightly shocked that a stranger would be willing to distract me from my overwhelming emotions of anxiety while we travel from London to Edinburgh, even thought it is a short distance. ''You don't have to do that''

I didn't want him to feel obliged to do this, but he laughed it off and introduced himself, ''well, I am Brody.'' He offered me his hand and I shook it gently, internally aware that my palms were most probably sweaty from clutching my hands together. ''I am Bree, Bree Ellington.''

''Nice to meet you Bree, Bree Ellington.'' He chuckled slightly as he mocked my introduction. ''Are you flying to Edinburgh for a holiday or what?'' He was busy sipping on his water while devouring a bag of wine gums. Extending the packet towards me, I politely decline by pushing them back to him. ''Ah no, I am going over to study. What about you?''

''Well,'' he paused as he tried to finish chewing the handful of wine gums that he had shoved in his mouth. ''I just finished my European tour, so I am going back home since the new semester starts on Monday'' The thought of doing a full European tour again sounded so appealing. I had toured 11 countries in Europe a few years back with a group from history class in high school. Brody and I landed up talking about his trip and the fact that I had never been to Scotland before, so he offered to help me find my way after we landed.

An hour had passed, and we successfully and safely landed at Edinburgh Airport. I stared out the window, gazing at the weather. It wasn't too far off from London's weather, but it definitely was colder and cloudier. A sound echoed through the aircraft and passenger started rising to grab their luggage and push each other to the exit. I have never been one of those people that are overly enthusiastic to bounce up, grab my stuff and leave. I normally wait for majority of the people to have left before I get my stuff, but that was not going to happen today since Brody hauled himself up and grabbed both of our bags, telling me to get up now and follow him. Since he was acting as my tour guide, I followed him off the plane and through the terminal until we got to the security boarding gates. I took my bag from him and showed the officer my passport and with a nod they let me through.

I was forever grateful for my British passport. It honestly made traveling a breeze compared to some of my friends who had to literally have a visa for most of the countries they had to visit. Brody and I landed up walking through the airport until we found the exit. ''Okay, so which area did you say your apartment was in?'' he questioned while staring between me and an unfolded map.