The Ghost Of The Future

When Skip came to him the surroundings changed to their apartment. It wasn't the same that they had now, it was a bit bigger and looked more expensive. They had a big living room, Eiji had a study for his photo projects while Ash had turned his own room into a little library. There were towers of books on his desk at every side with a computer and some papers in the middle.

So, I'm still a book worm, huh?", Ash smirked at Skip. "Good to know."

"It's even better. Your profession is also about books. And Eiji becomes a well-known photographer. But I want to show you a different scene.

The scene changed to an office that looked like an official government office. Like the ones where you order a new passport or other official documents.

"What am I doing here?", Ash wondered, more talking to himself, a frown appearing on his face.

The door swung open and Ash and Eiji came out of the room, followed by Eiji's mother, Ibe, Max and Jessica.

Why's the old man here as well?, Ash wondered silently.

"Suddenly, Eiji put his arms around Ash, hugging him tightly. Wait, was there a ring on his finger? And on his, too? No, that couldn't be real - "

"We're officially married, Ash!", Eiji exclaimed happily while still holding him close.

"Yes, we are.", Ash said, smiling softly. "I still can't believe it. Seems like a dream...", he admitted quietly.

"I've promised you forever.", Eiji simply said, pure affection reflected in his warm eyes while he looked at him.

"Can you kiss already?", asked Max impatiently. "So I can finally invite you to some fancy restaurant to celebrate?"

"Not in front of -", Eiji said shyly, a blush spreading across his face. But Ash had already pulled him close, kissing him passionately. Eiji blushed even more, but instantly kissed him back, closing his eyes while pulling him closer.

Ash just stared at the scene, pure disbelief on his face while staring at his and Eiji's older versions.

"He'll really marry me? Are you fucking serious?", he exclaimed, his eyes widening while pure surprise overwhelmed his face.

"Yeah, he will. You'll also have a beautiful wedding ceremony. But I can't show you that. If I show you too much the future will change again." Ash just nodded quietly.

"But isn't it enough that you know that Eiji will stay by your side?", Skip asked, winking at him.

"Yeah, you're right. That's enough. That's more than I could have ever hoped for. Thanks for showing me that, Skip.", Ash said, smiling happily.

After a moment of silence, he bent down, so that he was at Skip's eye level, his green eyes darkening again while he looked at him.

"I'm just sorry that you don't have a future, Skip. I'm so sorry I couldn't save you...", he said while a wave of guilt washed over him.

"I'm not.", Skip said honestly. "I mean I didn't want to die. But I've never regretted my decision to save you. I would do that again.", he clarified warmly. "I've always looked up to you, Ash. You were my hero always protecting me. Looking out for me. You and your gang were my family. So I'm happy that I could return the favor and help you for once.", Skip explained happily.

Then he gripped his shoulder and frowned at him, a disappointed look on his face while staring at Ash.

"But I didn't save you, so you can hate yourself and convince yourself that you don't deserve Eiji.", he complained to him, his fierce look boring into Ash's. "I saved you, so you can move on and accept that you have a future.", he clarified, his gaze softening. "Eiji is an amazing person who truly loves you with all his heart. So please accept his love, tell him you love him as well and accept that you have a bright future ahead of you. Together. A future you deserve. A future you and Eiji have fought really hard for. Don't waste it. Just look at Eiji's face. If you don't see how much he loves you, you must be fucking blind."

Ash looked at the scene again. When he looked more closely, he had to admit that Skip was right. Eiji's eyes, his body language, his gestures, everything announced openly that he loved him. Why hadn't he noticed all of that before? He was a complete idiot...

"Sometimes I wonder how Eiji can love some clueless idiot like me.", he admitted, slapping his forehead.

"You're ok. Your cluelessness is kind of adorable.", Skip smiled at him. Ash glared at him, but then his gaze softened. "Thank you for showing me that, Skip.", he replied, hugging him gently. "You've always been family to me as well."

"I can't stay any longer, Ash.", Skip said, smiling. "But I'll be seeing you soon.

Tell Eiji I miss him.", he asked him before his silhouette was slowly fading away.