Chapter 11: I'm not leaving... not ever

I wasn't sure if it really was a good idea, but Rachel insisted on going to the place the accident took place. She thought it could trigger a memory. Before the confession and the kiss, I probably would've been okay with it since I only cared about her retrieving her memory, but now I was scared for her. If she was to remember the accident she'd probably be scared as hell. So I hesitated, but she insisted. So brought her there with me. We got out of the car and she walked closer to the place where she lost her parents and memories. There were marks on the road left by the accident. I followed her.

There was quite a lot of wind on that day. Rachel looked around the place and found a little piece of glass on the ground. She picked it up.

I saw a tear run down her cheek. I wiped the tear from her cheek as I caressed her face. She begin sobbing. "Hey it's okay" I held her tightly against me as she cried on my shoulder. I patted her back in a reassuring manner. The moment I saw her cry I knew she remembered something about the accident.

She let the piece of glass fall back on the ground. I stroked her mostly black hair.

In the memory from the accident that came back to her, she remembered reading a book peacefully and her parents talking. Happily she didn't remember the pain she must have felt when the car came crashing into theirs. The bleeding, the fear, the scars, the darkness. Even if she didn't remember the pain it didn't mean that the memory didn't cause her suffering.

I kissed the top of her head. "Shh it's okay Rae, it's okay. I'm there, I'm not leaving... not ever"

We came back home and sat on the coach in the living room. I continued to comfort her. I don't know why I hadn't thought about what would happen when she'd remember the accident. And mostly her parents.

I understood her. My parents died in a boat accident when I was 5. It was so hard. I cried so much, they were all had. My only family, just like her.

After some minutes Rae fell asleep in my arms. Tears on her cheeks and throat. I fell asleep too, not knowing what hell she was going through at the moment.

The nightmares. The world of dreams wasn't going soft on her. If I hadn't fell asleep I would've woken her up, saved her from the horror that she was about to see.