Chapter 14 - That's Our Mom.

The ride back home was long. Painfully long. It was obnoxiously boring on the way to the station, but even more so on the way back. You leaned against the window, staring out into the gray Gotham sky. You felt strange admitting it, but Arthur made the ride much more bearable. Him and his nice-smelling hair.

You groaned, your cheeks turning pink at the embarrassing memory. You crossed your arms, sinking down into your seat.

You wondered what Arthur was doing so far away from home. Maybe it was a job prospect? No, there's no way he'd be able to make this commute on a frequent basis. So then, what could he be possibily be doing so far out?

You furrowed your eyebrows. It wasn't your place to poke your nose in Arthur's business... or his hair.

You groaned again, pulling your winter cap down over your eyes.

Why did I do that?

After the long and dull bus ride, followed by a long and dull walk home, you were finally back at your apartment. The sun was setting, and your day off was nearly over. You sighed, annoyed that you barely had a chance to relax. But, you quickly pushed that thought aside. You were there for Arthur and that's all that mattered.

You wasted no time stripping off your winter layers, dressing yourself in more comfortable clothes before collapsing on your bed. You barely remembered anything after laying down, falling into a deep sleep shortly after. You were exhausted...

THUMP!
You shot up, pushing your face out of the pile of pillows. You heard the clanging of kitchenware against the floor from the apartment under you.

What was that?!

Your gaze shot up, looking towards the window. It was night now, it couldn't have been more than an hour since you fell asleep. Which meant...

Arthur wasn't home yet.

So then, what was that noise from his apartment? His mother should have been the only one home. Was she okay? Maybe she just tripped.

You hopped off the bed, pressing your ear against the groud.

A few seconds passed.
A few more.
A minute now.
Two minutes.

You bit your nails, your anxiety growing in intensity.

God damn it, get up....

Another minute passed. Still nothing.

"Alright, screw this." You grabbed a sweater and quickly slid it on before jumping out on to your balcony. You rushed down the fire-escape steps, yanking Arthur's apartment window open with as much force as you could muster.

You hoped inside, scanning the living room for signs of her. You cautiously walked through, not sure of what exactly you were dealing with...

Please don't be burglars. Please don't be burglars.

You reached a door to what you assumed was the kitchen. Carefully, you pushed it open...

Penny was laying there on the ground, her arms shaking, reaching around herself without any direction. Her phone was dangling by its cord from the counter, a loud, flat dial tone coming from the speaker.

Your heart began pounding with fear. You were not experienced in first-aid care by any means. Yet within a week, you were thrust into these intense situations twice. First Arthur, and now his mother.

You dropped to the ground, pulling her head on to your lap.

"Ms. Fleck, can you hear me? What happened?!"