Chapter 5 - A Good Night.

A/N: Sorry for the longer wait on this chapter, ya girl has had a lot of exams and I'm still not even done with all of them yet. But writing another fluffy installment was exactly the kind of pick me up I needed. ANYWAYS - let me not delay this any further. YOU WANT SLOW BURN? I'LL GIVE YA SLOW BURN.

Things were looking up for you lately. Of course, you still had your crappy job and you weren't exactly rich (yet). But, things were getting better.
For one thing, your co-workers were beginning to finally open up to you. Owen was much less controlling, respecting most of your host-related decisions around Pogo's. Lucy teased you considerably less. You were finally beginning to feel like you fit in. A little bit, at least.
There were still times you found yourself talking to Owen for quite some time, only to hear "Huh? Oh... Yeah. Whatever," as his response. You would think you were discussing detailed, intricate topics with Lucy, to be suddenly met with, "Yeah. Anyways, did you see that guy that just walked in? Two words: Beef. Cake."
It was discouraging to know you weren't really being listened to. That was something you had begun to notice about the people of Gotham. Everyone seemed to only be concerned about their own thoughts and lives. It was incredibly difficult to get used to that aspect of city culture. Yet still, you were happy to have built somewhat of a rapport at work.

You sighed in exhausted relief as the clock struck 9. Things may have been getting better, but double shifts weren't one of those things. You wasted no time clocking out, slipping on your coat as you walked out the door. You even forgot to say your goodbyes for the night, which you did feel bad about (But you were sure Owen and Lucy would survive without them).

You took a deep breath once you stepped outside. Unfortunately the air here wasn't fresh, but at least the cold made it feel like it was. You scoffed at the thought, and began your journey home.

Your work heels tapped against the concrete.
Click-clack
Click-clack
Click-clack
              Thump thump
Click-clack      Thump thump
           Thump thump

     .....

      You stopped, looking over your shoulder.

    Arthur stood there. He looked up at you, a guilty expression on his face.

    You rolled your eyes. "Arthur..."
    "Sorry," he muttered.

You smiled, motioning for him to come join you. He raised his eyebrows in surprise, walking towards you cautiously.

"You know, if you want to walk to the apartment together you could just tell me," you assured, continuing your stroll. "You don't have to just walk behind me being all stealthy and stuff."
There was a pause. Arthur's shoulders lowered, as if he was beginning to relax. A meek smile appeared on his lips.
"Okay, if you say so," he said quietly.
You nodded. "Thanks by the way."
He raised his eyebrows. "What for?"
"I know you're just looking out for me," you said, looking up at him happily.
"Oh...Yeah. It's not the safest out here."

The both of you continued your journey home, discussing whatever came to mind, although it was mostly about the current political climate. Apparently there was a new mayor being elected, but you didn't know much about that honestly.

You were so wrapped up in your conversation that you hadn't even noticed that you had come across the block of vendors from the other day. You gasped in happy surprise once you realized, startling Arthur slightly when you did. Your mouth quickly began to water in anticipation, as you were blissfully reminded that you hadn't eaten all day. You turned to Arthur, excited to now have someone to share a fun experience with.

"Feeling hungry?" you beamed.
Arthur blinked a few times, confused by your sudden enthusiasm. He opened his mouth, unsure of what to say.
"Come on!" You didn't give him a chance to respond, taking him by the arm and leading him into the crowded street.

The mixing scents of different foods delighted your senses just as much as the first time. You lead Arthur through the maze of people, stopping at all the carts you visited before and more, not letting him pay a single cent. In terms of tips, you had a spectacular few weeks. Tonight was the night to indulge, and it was all the more enjoyable to have someone with you for the ride.

Roast chicken, shish kebab, tacos, deep fried treats, hot buttered rum - NOTHING was off the menu. As the night went on, your bellies grew full, and you were definitely beginning to feel bloated. BUT- you would not end the night without introducing Arthur to the most unique taste of them all.

Arthur sat at a bench at the end of the block as you placed your final order of the night. You approached him, handing him his own roll of seaweed wrapped fish eggs. He took it from you gently, unsure of what exactly he was looking at.

"Ever tried these?" you asked, sitting beside him.
He shook his head. "What exactly... IS this?"
"One of the weirdest things you'll ever eat."

You raised your roll to his, tapping them together.

"Cheers! To one of my tastiest nights in Gotham."

He chuckled, bringing it to his mouth and taking a large bite. You did the same, delighted to finish the night with your favorite food. You looked over at him.
"So good, right?"

Arthur was wincing as he chewed on the eggs, clearly not enjoying the flavor. You raised your eyebrows.

"No way. There's no way you didn't like that!"

Arthur 's eyes widened, "No, no! They're really good, I like them!"

You laughed, "It's okay, they're not for everyone I guess."

He lowered the roll from his mouth, relieved that he didn't have to take another bite.

The both of you sat on the bench for a while longer, quietly observing the crowds shuffling among the food vendors. You listened to the sounds of the city around you. You allowed your mind to relax, as you took in your surroundings. People chattered. Cars honked. You could hear the giggles of young couples, the wailing of restless babies, angry store owners shooing off petty thieves, drunken friends singing their favorite songs.
Gotham was full of life. It made you feel peaceful somehow, knowing that you were able to be a part of this city's story. You leaned your head back on the bench, looking up at the night sky.

"You can't really see the stars here, huh?"

Arthur turned to you, seemingly shaken out of his own trance. He looked up.

"No, not really. Too many lights out here."

"Yeah," you sighed. "The food is a good trade off, though," you giggled.
"I'll take a feast over stargazing any day."

He smiled, looking down at his shoes.

It was a good night.