Dad

Ned was bored. He was seated in his science class and barely paying attention to anything Mr Harrington was saying. Mr Harrington had just started explaining Quantum physics to the class, but Bruce had taught him everything he needed to know about it ages ago. He would've just talked to Peter, but consequently, said person hadn't turned up to school. There was no text message explaining that he wouldn't be attending and why, which annoyed Ned a bit because Peter and Ned were supposed to tell each other everything. They were practically like brothers.

Ignoring the chatter in the background, Ned rested his head on the hard, cold wooden desk with half-lidded eyes, tapping his fingers impatiently on the table.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door and the chatter died down. "Come in," Mr Harrington called to the person behind the door. There was a shuffling outside before the knob turned and the door swung open, revealing a young boy with curly brown hair and big brown eyes.

"Peter!" Ned perked up, happy to see that his best friend had finally arrived. Peter sent a small smile and wave to Ned before shuffling up to the teacher and handing him his late slip, one hand clutching his stomach the whole time. Ned frowned to himself when he noticed Peter slightly limping as he walked up.

"Sorry I'm late, sir," Peter said, quietly.

"No problem, Peter. Now please sit down." Peter obliged and took his usual seat next to Ned.

"Hey dude, are you okay?" Ned asked, taking in Peter's pale face, cut lip and hands that were constantly wrapped around his midsection. He didn't miss the grimace Peter made when he shifted in his seat, nor the slight whimper when he lightly banged his side on the table.

"What? Um oh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." Ned didn't believe him for a second but left it alone for now.

Time lagged on and as Ned constantly checked on Peter, he found that he was only seeming to get worse.

Peter suddenly started violently coughing, shivers wracking through his small frame. Blood slowly trickled out of his mouth as everyone turned towards him, shocked. "I'm fine," He croaked, waving his hand dismissively as more blood splattered from his lips.

"No, Peter you're not fine!" Ned argued back, on the verge of panicking.

"Yeah, I am." Ned stared at his friend incredulously.

"Happens all the time..." Peter quickly wiped the blood from his lips with a tissue, slouching further into his seat, eyes glazed over and half-open. Mr Harrington stood up from where he was comfortably seated at his desk and strode towards Peter, trying to remain calm for the children. It didn't work very well when Ned gasped, unhappily, pointing to Peter's abdomen.

"You're bleeding!"

"Peter's bleeding?"

"He's on his period?" A random student tried to lighten things up.

"Oh my gosh!"

"What happened?" The teens crowded around the young hero, causing the teacher to have to shove through them to get to Peter.

"Peter, what happened?" Mr Harrington asked, staring at the ever-growing bloodstain on his shirt. No reply.

"Peter, go to the nurse for me please." After still receiving no answer, Ned dragged Peter up and pulled Peter's arm over his shoulder, starting to walk towards the door.

"Wha?" Peter slurred, still in a daze, vaguely realising he was moving.

"We're going to the nurse."

"Oh."

"What happened?"

"Mugger... trying to hurt lady... helped... man had a knife... woman safe..."