Introduction

The end of the world should never have been so fun. 

The plague was the worst part. Two slow years where the adults got sick and died off slowly, one by one until the survivors were so few that they barricaded themselves within expensive walled cities where the disease was left banging from the outside. The kids who caught it ended up fine—not all of them, but most. The grown-ups weren't so lucky. 

But once the plague was over and the cities were built the rest of the country was left unregulated. No laws, no goals, no plans, just the scraps of society left in the hands of the youth. 

Welcome to Saturn County, Michigan. Drinking age is 21 months. 

~*~*~*~*~

If you've been reading my stories for awhile, this might sound familiar to you. It's The Grove, only edited and redone. I plan on rewriting the entire trilogy and having this be the first book instead.

I am leaving the original story up on my page since they will prove to have different storylines and vastly different tones, but note that there will likely be clear overlaps between the two books, as well as a lot of easter eggs because that's always fun. There will be also be a lot of inconsistencies between this and The Grove because I haven't rewritten it yet, so make your comparisons with a grain of salt.

Whereas the first edition was influenced heavily by The 100 and the CW's characteristic angst, for this rendition I am going to attempt a lighter energy and make sure that this is truly a story about teenagers. 

So buckle your seatbelts, because the apocalypse is here. Welcome to Saturn County, Michigan.  

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Coronavirus hit I took a hiatus from this story. Although the pandemic is not over, I have decided to continue writing. Keep in mind that the "plague" is not and has never been based on Covid-19, although it will be difficult to dissociate the two. I understand if this subject matter may be triggering to anyone and will try to include more warnings on chapters that might discuss the plague in greater detail. There is a larger update after Chapter 2 explaining more of my thought process.