Being around Jake, like tonight, was a lot harder than she realised it was going to be, and living under his roof, it was going to be hard to avoid him.

But forcing herself to calm down, and think sensibly about her situation. It dawned on her that she was totally over reacting. After all, Jake would not be under his own roof in a few weeks' time, he would be away on his tour. By the time he returned from that, her six months, would almost be up and he would be looking for a more permenant nanny, and she would be free.

She just needed to hold it together till then.

Tonight, sitting with him in the kitchen, and talking about the old days, had just stirred up things she had not wanted to think about, and she would have to make sure she didn't let herself get into that position again with him.

Feeling a little more in control of her emotions again, she finally drifted off into a dreamless sleep in the early hours of the morning.

When she woke up again it was just after seven a.m. She was still feeling tired and could have happily slept on if she could, but she knew she had to check on her charge, so dragged herself out of her bed, and crossed the hallway into Ellie's room.

She found her awake and babbling away to herself in the cot, as Gemma leaned over the cot to lift her out, Ellie recognising her familiar face, now smiled in delight. Despite the fact Gemma tried to keep herself in professional mode, Ellie's smile reminded her so much of Jake, she felt her heart flip, and melt in her chest.

Now as he lifted her out, she couldn't help cuddling Ellie close to her, and kissed her on the head, realising her thoughts the evening before, about walking away from this little girl right now, was something, she knew she couldn't do.

Walking over towards the window, with Ellie in her arms and looking out, she noticed Jake getting into his car down below in the driveway, and although she was quite happy being in Ellie's company, she was a little relieved as she watched Jake drive off, that she wouldn't have to face him that morning.

But she could only avoid him for so long, and it was just a day later, he accosted her in the kitchen whilst she was feeding Ellie her breakfast, He had obviously only got up, dressed in a black tee shirt and boxer shorts, a shadow of a beard stubble covering his chin, and his dark hair was still mussed up.

Glancing around at him, Gemma found herself idly musing that he must have been working out a lot since she had last saw him. As a teenager he had been a bit on the scrawny side, but she couldn't describe him like that now. Then she realised with mortification she should not even be thinking such thoughts, and now turned her attention back on Ellie and giving her another spoonful of cereal

"Ah, I am glad I caught you," Jake came over looking a little business-like, much to her relief. It chased those thoughts further from her mind, and he seemed too preoccupied with his own thoughts to notice her blushes.

"With the tour coming up soon, I manage to get a free day today to take Ellie to visit her grandad before I go away, or I will never hear the end of it from him, if I don't" he finished with a tone touched with long suffering, that Gemma only too easily recognised, Jake used when he talked about his Father. Despite herself she couldn't help smiling.

"Ok, well I will have her all dressed and ready, just let me know what time you are going" she replied

"Probably around lunchtime, Jake replied, "Oh, and you know you are coming too" he then added breezily

"Me?" Gemma's eyes widened in surprise, "You don't have to bring me along, I am sure you would rather take Ellie yourself, and spend time with him while you can." she pointed out.

"Gem, this is my dad we are talking about," Jakes blue eyes stared at her pointedly. "Besides He knows you are looking after Ellie now, he was always asking about you over the years, so I think it will be nice if you come along. He will be glad to see you, you always got on better with him than I ever did" he reminded her.

"Well I think that had more to do with him feeling a bit sorry for me at the time," Gemma replied, "Y'know, with my dad leaving us"

"Maybe," Jake relented, "But still, if you come along. You and Ellie can distract him, and keep him off my back."

Realisation hit Gemma now, "Ahh I see, you two still not on the best of terms even after all this time?" she queried a little surprised

"Just let's say he still feels the need to take me down a peg or two whenever he can get the opportunity, and with everything happening after Caroline's death, I have a feeling he's going to have a lot to say." Jake momentarily looked a little grim, but then switching his focus back on Gemma his expression changed to that of desperation.

"So, you see, you have to come"

"Ok." Gemma found herself reluctantly agreeing. It had been quite a while since she had got caught up in the drama between Jake and his father. She just hoped that this visit would not turn out that way and be a pleasant occasion, and she would not have to play referee.

All in all, it was going to be an interesting afternoon