chapter Two

Jake returned to England at the end of the week, bringing Caroline's body back with him, so he could arrange a small private funeral for her, surrounded by his family and friends.

Word had got out by this time, and he found himself bombarded with the press wanting to know what had happened to his wife.

Maurice had made an official press statement for him, confirming that Caroline had died under very tragic circumstances, and that Jake would really appreciate it, if the Media and the public would give him a chance to grieve and bury his wife in peace at this sad time.

Of course, that didn't really stop the tabloids speculating about what had happened, but at least for now, they were taking the sympathetic line for Jake's predicament.

Once his fans learned of what happened, outside the security gates of his home became littered and overcrowded with flowers and cards and notes of sympathy, which Jake found very touching. He appreciated that they were thinking of him, and that they were supporting him through this tough time.

He was also glad to be back in England just to be surrounded by his close friends and family again

His older sister Fiona, and his personal assistant Maggie Weston, had immediately taken charge of the new addition of the family.

And little Ellie found herself fussed over and adored more than she had ever been, not only by these two women but also Fiona's two young children, Jayla aged nine, who was delighted she now had a new cousin, and her little brother Brad, who was two years younger, and was finding the new baby a fascinating novelty.

Fiona, who was already six months pregnant, with her third child was already feeling all clucky, and feeling sorry for the 'poor little mite' who had just lost her mother, and was quite happy to care for her new niece Ellie, whilst her brother Jake tried to get through the forthcoming funeral.

She was already trying to sort one of his spare bedrooms into a nursery and deciding on buying cots and prams, and all the paraphernalia that came along with young babies.

Jake let her get on with it, after all women knew better about these things than he would. He was just relieved that sort of responsibility was taken of his shoulders for now because he didn't have a clue.

The funeral would be held in another two days' time. He was just sorting out the last of the arrangements, and going over them with his personal assistant, Maggie, who he discovered was a real treasure to him in her efficiency to get things done. One of the reasons she had become his close confidante these last few years.

She was in her mid forties almost ten years, she was married with a young teenage son, her husband worked as a banker, she was one of the lucky few who managed to juggle her career, marriage and motherhood with success.

Jake had great admiration for her, she had helped support him when Caroline had just disappeared out of his life, and now she was there again helping him deal with this latest crisis.

They sat in his lounge, and she was going over the list of guests of family and friends who would be attending the funeral. But she noticed that there were some names not on the list, recalling Caroline's parents. She thought that perhaps they had slipped Jake's mind, so now decided to remind him.

"What about Caroline's parents, Mr and Mrs McCann, shouldn't they be down on the list?"

"No," was Jakes immediate reply, his expression grim, "They won't be there"

Maggie was a little taken aback, but then she assumed that Jake's grimness was perhaps down to the fact that Caroline's parents were not intending to turn up, "Oh, can't they make it? I thought they would want to be there. I know she didn't have very much to do with them, but it is their daughter's funeral. Surely, they can let bygones be bygones. Perhaps if I got in touch with them and had a word" she then suggested helpfully