Chapter Four

Fiona insisted that Gemma should stay a little longer, so she could introduce her to Jake's daughter. She then proceeded to go up the newly acquired nursery, with her son Brad tagging behind her, to fetch Ellie, and left Jake and Gemma alone again in the lounge.

"So, what have you been doing with yourself, now I know for sure, that you haven't been in Canada? does it mean you never left the England at all?" Jake enquired with renewed interest

"Well, as Fiona mentioned, I was working as a nanny, and  I didn't go to Canada. You see, when my mum eventually remarried, her husband Frank got a job offer it was a great business opportunity. The apartment that came along with it wasn't big enough for us all, and as I was the oldest and already had a job, it seemed my best option was to stay put, the plan was mum would sell our house and they would get a bigger place, eventually for me to join them, but that didn't happen" Gemma explained. When the house was sold my mum said it still wasn't suitable for me to come and live with them, so I moved into a flat with a friend, she was the one who persuaded me that I should join her in the career of becoming a nanny, and as I had no family ties to worry about any more, and it seemed an improvement than working in the local supermarket, so I went for it"

She shrugged, "But because of my job, I haven't been in England the whole time these last few years. I have visited quite a few places during my time, including America and France and Egypt. The families I worked for were usually high end business people, who moved around a lot, and I had to go with them most of the time." Gemma then explained getting a small sense of satisfaction in revealing he wasn't the only one who was well travelled.

Although it might not have been classed as glamorous as Jake's lifestyle, but she liked to think, that like him, she had managed to break free from the small dull suburban lifestyle where they were raised.

"I am glad things went well for you Gem," Jake smiled, "I remember how hard it was for you when your father walked out on you and your family, and you were left to cope with it all. Looking after your little brother because your mother fell apart, and she couldn't function, because of her depression"

Gemma shrugged, "I did what I had to do at the time, after all it wasn't like I had much choice." she replied simply, letting him know she didn't consider what she had done special in anyway, or that she expected praise or recognition for it.

"Yeah, but still, it was a lot to have to have on your plate, especially when you have only turned fifteen. But then you always were the strong one" Jake then realised in retrospect

"And you were always the crazy one," Gemma returned dryly.

He chuckled at that, "True I suppose, and I guess I am still as crazy at times," he admitted a little ruefully.

"Well isn't that part of a rock star's persona, to be crazy egotistical attention seekers?" Gemma pointed out teasingly, raising her eyebrows questioningly.

"You know me too well," Jake grinned.

"Yes, I use to think I did at one time, but now I am not so sure." Gemma replied quietly, looking down at her fidgeting fingers. But I guess fame and fortune can change people. I understand that, your priorities probably change, and sometimes people get left behind"

The atmosphere in the room had become a little tense as Jake shifted uneasily.

"I'm sorry Gem, that you were one of those whom I left behind, I should have tried harder to keep in touch with you. But everything got a bit crazy with the touring and having to spend hours in the recording studio, as well as promoting the band" He tried to explain, but at the same time knew it still sounded a little feeble. "Though to be honest sometimes I am glad that you were not around when things got ugly and all the infighting between us in the band, that led to us splitting up. Fame does weird things to you"