When the band split up, and he had made the decision to go on with a solo career in the music business, it had been a daunting task. But he needed the challenge, to help him pick himself up from the fallout of the split and the mess with Caroline, it helped him focus, and stopped him falling off the rails, into a dark place. The songs on his new album, reflected a lot of that, it had been an outlet, a way to help free him from all the mistakes he had come to regret in the past, a new start. And now he felt he was starting to come out the other side of those dark times.

But Caroline's death, and now finding out he was a father into the bargain, was a whole other ballgame. His life and career revolved around music, he loved it, he loved performing in front of thousands, he could handle that.

Bringing up a daughter as a single parent, being responsible for this tiny person, He still couldn't quite get his head around it. It scared the hell out of him so much, he found himself refusing to dwell on it. But looking down at her now, realising that Ellie had brought Gemma back into his life again, made her even more precious to him.

He found himself now reflecting on his past relationship with her once more. Had there been times when he had wanted to cross that line, make their friendship something more? Yes, a few times the temptation had been there, ironic it was the fact he cared for her so much, he had been scared of taking that step.

He never felt worthy of her. He had always thought she needed someone who would bring stability to her life, someone who would care for her and put her first in their life, as she deserved. She had always been the one doing all the giving, and everyone else doing all the taking. Which was why back then, he knew he was not the one to give her that.

But He never thought she would end up alone, He had been certain that she would have been snatched up by some guy, who would recognise her value in their life and make her happy, even though it sent a little pang of jealousy through his heart that it would not be him.

But that had not happened, and now he wasn't sure if he was disappointed or glad.

Part of him was still feeling responsible, that she seemed to have put a barrier up, stopping people getting to close, probably because she felt she had been abandoned by those she cared about, her parents, as well as himself. It didn't sit easy on his shoulders that because of it, perhaps she had missed out on having a husband and family of her own.

But now here she was, looking after his daughter, and back in his life, so getting this second chance, he felt he had to make it up to her someway and fix it so that she could open up again and trust her heart. And hopefully Ellie would be the one, that would help him do that.

He didn't want to fail either of them like he had failed Caroline.

He also realised rather soberly that he had a lot to prove, and more than likely, it was going to be the biggest challenge of his lifetime, he just hoped he was up for it.

**************************************

Gemma had trouble sleeping that night. She tossed and turned in her bed, thinking about Jake, realising she had made a huge mistake agreeing to come here to live under his roof and look after his daughter like this. She wasn't sure she could do it without old resentments and memories threatened to disturb her peace of mind, that she thought she had left far behind her.

Only there was no way out of her predicament. She had signed a contract, made it official. She couldn't just walk away. Even if Jake agreed to free her from the contract, it would be too short notice for him to find another nanny, he would be of on his tour in a few weeks, and she had her principles she wouldn't do that to him, or Ellie.