38 - When the Past Meets the Present Part 1

Start from the beginning

The tall buildings looming over their heads looked like they could touch the sky as the dark cement blend with the nightfall. The concrete structures had only small roads zig-zagging between them, making Jai-Jai chest tighten. If she put both arms out, she could touch both sides of the road. She plotted behind the others made their way slowly towards the unknown. As they neared the end of the walkway, Jai-Jai could see lights flashing and hear shouting. Whatever what happening there had the people excited. Really excited. Their bloodthirst tainted the air and Jai-Jai could taste it even at their distance.

"Stop," whispered Kraneia with a sense of urgency.

Everyone halted dead in their tracts.

Jai-Jai asked, "What is it?"

"It's some sort of midnight market." Kraneia peaked around the corner. "But they're selling...oh my Gods, it can't be."

A stunned silence blanketed the group as the cheers from the human crowd got louder. Rhistel was the first to break the quiet. "What? What is it?"

"But...but..." stammered Kraneia. "It looks like-"

Jai-Jai stood a stand next to the dryad and took a look at herself. From their angle, she couldn't see much. A simple stage surrounded by crowds of humans. The man stood on the left corner looked like he'd thrown every colour he could find on him. The colourful clothes had jewels sewn into them, and he sparkled in the torchlight.

"Ladies and gentlemen, " the man called out. His arms were outstretched and looked very pleased with himself with the giant of a grin on his face. "We have the most rare treat for you all today. I am honoured to bring you this one of a kind beast who we scoured the world for. The last of her kind, may I present you, a dragon."

Not only the crowd but the group gasped too.

"There's no way," Alanis sounded faint. Everyone's heads were now around the corner. The human buyers took no notice of anything happening around them. Everyone's attention was on the woman being dragged onto the stage.

Jai-Jai flinched, and she realized that she was digging her nails into her palms. Blood trickled from the injuries but that wasn't her focus. The iridescent scaled face that smirked at the humans like a predator about to pounce on their prey was unmistakable.

"Look at her," said Twig in awe. "I can't believe I'm seeing a dragon. Why does she look familiar though?"

"That's no dragon," Jai-Jai said little louder than a mumble. The others turned to her in confusion. "She's half-human."

Alanis gripped her shoulder. "How do you know?"

"You could say I know her. She's not someone you ever want to meet," said Jai-Jai. We need to get out of here. "Let's leave before she sees us."

"What do ye mean? We cannae leave these poor people here to be sold like cattle to these mud-humans," demanded Rhistel.

Jai-Jai gulped. Trying to tiptoe away without making a sound was proving difficult with the woman behind her not letting her budge. "Trust me when I say that she's in no danger."

"Who is that half-dragon?" The look in Rhistel's eye showed she meant business. No one would be leaving until her questions were answered.

Darn it all to hell. How'd this get so messed up? We can't tell them the truth.

"She's," started Jai-Jai. The beats of sweat running down the back of her neck felt icy whenever the wind blew. She shivered. "She's my-"

"Uh, guys," interrupted Alanis. "A think we're in trouble."

Swivelling on her feet, Jai-Jai turned to look at where Alanis was pointing. The humans were no longer looking at the stage but towards the hidden group. Not a drop of friendliness was in their eyes. Rather, the crowd looked ready to pounce.

"Intruders," Colour-Coat yelled. "They'll tell about the market. Guards gather those heathens. Quick!"

Pounding feet ran towards them. Rhistel grinned and waved her hand. A wall of flames cut the humans off. They screamed as their skin sizzled and the smell of burnt flesh wafted towards the night sky. "How dare you sell them like they're less than you," roared Rhistel.

Without even looking at her twin, both Alanis and Rhistel worked in perfect harmony. Sending a splash of water into the fire, the long-haired elf jumped through with Twig following behind. More screams of pain followed.

Taking the opportunity from the chaos Jai-Jai twisted her wrist behind her back. The unruly fire jumped up at her command, ready to do her bidding. Balling her fists, she pointed one finger out. Balls of flames jumped from the growing wall and onto the stage. The magical creatures behind cried with joy as the metal shackles that restrained them melted off with little damage to themselves.

It was nearly impossible to make sense of the chaos that they'd created. Humans stampeded, trying to get away from the unknown woman who'd crashed their nightly shopping trip. The captive supernaturals scattered, either too afraid to join the fight or too weak.

"Look for the Lady Maria at the docks. They'll give you safe passage away from here," screamed Rhistel to any non-human that passed her. It was hard to hear her over the commotion, but Jai-Jai saw the grateful looks in their eyes before they scurried off into the city's dark corners.

Spotting the one person she was looking for in the masses, Jai-Jai followed her down a sideroad. Then it was silent. The street torches were blown out leaving Jai-Jai in the darkness. A twinge of pain shot up a muscle in her neck as she flung her head from side to side, looking for any sight of movement.

Hot breath blowing on Jai-Jai's neck made her hairs stand up.

"Miss me?" sneered Esme.

Heart pounding faster with every passing second, Jai-Jai hoped her sister couldn't hear it slamming against her ribcage. "Did Aunt Ervesa send you?" The words felt like cement when she uttered them, they didn't want to be spoken.

Esme cackled. "With some surprising turn of events, that sordid old snake has no clue where I am. I took a page from your book, sister dear. I too ran away."

It was Jai-Jai's turn to laugh. "As if I'd ever believe that you even have the ability to think for yourself. The Ignis have you underneath their thumbs, and you'll never escape."

"Rich words coming from you. What possibly possessed you to think that you'd ever be free?" Esme lightly pushed strands of hair out of Jai-Jai's face. "I really did run away though. Can't you believe me?"

"When have you once told me the truth?" Being in such close proximity to her sister made Jai-Jai's mind race through all the bad memories she'd tried to bury the last five years. Her garden being burnt. The scales being ripped from her body by Esme in retaliation for getting her in trouble with Aunt Ervesa. The trial-by-fire initiation she'd been forced to take as a young dragon. It had been five years of freedom and yet even being in Esme's presence made her feel like she was in a cage again. Invisible chains wrapped themselves around Jai-Jai's body, suffocating her. She couldn't gasp for much-needed air. It would be the sign of weakness that Esme was waiting to see before she pounced.

We can never truly be free. The thought made Jai-Jai want to crawl in a ball and hibernate until this world had ended. Deep down she knew that even with the New World crumbling Aunt Ervesa and Esme would find a way to survive and chain her down. What her aunt wanted, she got. Every time.