•F O R T Y - T H R E E•

♪ You tell me you're a book that I misreadYou just wanna tell me what to do ♪{BANKS—Stroke}

You just wanna tell me what to do ♪
{BANKS—Stroke}

Harriet allowed Johanna as much time as needed to grieve. She had been so close to Princess Prudence, a dear friend and confidante; she needed to mend her heart and rest.

The manor can survive without her for a few days.

The soldiers stationed throughout her home, mingling with her own mercenaries, was a tough adjustment at first. Each area she wandered into was crowded, stuffy, with too many people watching her every move, her every breath. Though they were there for her protection, she couldn't help but wonder if they were spying on her, too.

But as the day rolled on—the first of February—she grew used to their overwhelming presence. She grew used to them studying her, trailing her wherever she went.

She however drew the line at the Council Room, when it was time for her afternoon meeting. "No," she said, when two of the men attempted to enter after her. She lifted a hand to halt them. "You may remain in front of the door, but I would prefer it if you did not swarm my meetings with my counselors." Not that she didn't trust them, but in case any foes loitered among them, in case any had secret allegiances to Eugene... she couldn't take the risk.

"But Miss—" one of the men barged forward, but Harriet whipped her foot out to bar his route, "—we were told to—"

"—I do not care what you were told." She crossed her arms and towered in the doorway, squinting at the four men that had been barreling after her most of the day. She was tall, but they were taller, bigger, more impressive. Yet she maintained her position, glaring at them to force them to back down. "Please wait outside."

As she shimmied into the room, she thought of Prince Jules and how he'd react when they wrote him a report. Would he laugh at her boldness, at her defiance?

Or will that prompt him to jump on a horse and visit me again?

Shuddering at the idea of seeing him, she took her spot, facing her advisors who had already settled in their seats, waiting for her. Jacob smiled and inclined his head as she motioned for all to proceed with their information-gathering, their solutions, their bad news. Because there was always bad news.

Today would be no exception, Harriet soon realized—because one particular, annoying topic was on everyone's tongue, and it darkened her mood.

"Marriage?" She dropped her balled fists to the table, shaking her teacup and rattling the plate of macaroons beside it. "My marriage? You cannot be serious."

"We do not mean to offend, Miss," said Sir Longley, his eyes sharp like steel as he sat up straight and grimaced. "But it would help finances a great deal to bring in a man of... wealth."