•T W E N T Y - F I V E•

♪ Three deep breaths, ten steps backwardsGoing backwards, now I'm switchin' lanes ♪{Jhené Aiko—Born Tired}

Going backwards, now I'm switchin' lanes ♪
{Jhené Aiko—Born Tired}

From an upper-floor window, Johanna watched as Esther and Emeric's carriage barreled down to the gates. Such a brief and unexpected visit, yet it did much good to Harriet.

She sighed, resuming her inspection of the window-sill that she'd urged the newest maid to clean until it sparkled.

Should she have begged Esther to stay longer? To keep Harriet company? They were best friends, and Johanna recalled from their days at the Academy that Esther, though a bit exuberant for her taste, was a wonderful advocate for Harriet. She encouraged her, counseled her, and was a true shoulder to cry on.

Unlike me... I kept too many secrets and unleashed them all at the wrong moment.

Johanna still regretted her indifferent attitude whilst the girls were at the Academy. How she'd pretended not to know Harriet, not to have been a close friend to her in their youth. She'd blame herself forever, and for that reason she had a hard time being in Harriet's presence since her return. She'd steered clear of the Dining Room during breakfast, and busied herself on the opposite side of the mansion. Though grateful for the job, for the lodgings, she didn't think she deserved them.

But now, Johanna regretted that demeanor, too. Because with all that Harriet had coming her way, she needed someone she truly trusted in her entourage. And was Johanna that person? Sure, Harriet confided in her, but Johanna had nothing to offer; no access to the noble world like Esther did, or to other households in town like some of the serving staff did. She wasn't the daughter of anyone important, not a royal, not someone with the ability to obtain secrets.

But Johanna realized it would have been awkward were she to rush outside, fall to her knees, and beg the young noblewoman to stay. Esther had barely spoken to her before, and surely she'd scoff and tell Johanna off for daring such a thing. She wasn't as kind as Harriet, as used to mingling with servants and lower-born people.

As she perused each of the many guest rooms on the property, monitoring cleanliness and replacing old candles and fluffing pillows, she couldn't help but think of who would be best to aid Harriet in her duties. Rumor had it a man named Jacob Fletcher had been of much assistance already, but Johanna didn't know him. He was tasked with forming Harriet's new council, and was quite taken with her, or so the maids gossiped. Did that mean he was trustworthy?

Trustworthy... the word rolled about in her mind, reminding her of someone else; someone who implied she was the one Harriet needed at her side.

Prince Jules.

"Why did he think me to be the right choice?" She brushed her fingertips over the base of a vase and decided it was well-polished. "I am a nobody. I can gain some behind-the-scenes intelligence... but not from so far away. What use am I to her?"