Chapter Eight

Clint pulled into the yard, furious. He'd had Pietro on speakerphone, and Laura had almost exploded. "I just got out of labor, and Mom decides to slap Wanda? Seriously?!" She had snapped, and immediately sent Clint back to the farm.

He could see the twins in front of the house. Wanda was sitting on the first porch step, and Pietro was standing, rapidly tapping his foot.

Clint got out of the car, slamming the door. He immediately shoved past Pietro, kneeling next to Wanda. He grabbed the girl's chin, lifting her head. Pietro hadn't been exaggerating as Clint had hoped. A huge, nasty bruise in the shape of a hand was on Wanda cheek. He examined it closer, making sure there weren't any cuts or anything. Clint noticed his hands were shaking with barely contained anger.

He stood back up, taking Wanda's thin hand in his. He marched into the house, Pietro at his heels, Wanda dragging her feet. "LUCINDA!"

The woman appeared. "What are you doing here, Clint?!"

"Laura sent me to check up on how things were going."

"You could've just called."

Clint ignored her. "What happened to Wanda's cheek?"

"I don't know. It was already there when we got here."

"Oh, it was, was it? Then why does it obviously look no more than two hours old? You got here about two hours ago, right? I call bullsh***."

"Clint! Cooper and Lila are right there!"

Indeed they were, their jaws dropped at their father's language.

"Daddy!" Lila exclaimed. "You said only Mommy was allowed to say that!"

"Well, I made an exception because your grandma was mean to Wanda."

"She was mean to Wanda?" Lila asked in shock.

Cooper noticed Wanda's cheek. "DID GRANDMA DO THAT?!" He asked, pointing.

"Of course not. Your father is being ridiculous." Lucinda scoffed.

"Then why did Pietro call me and tell me you did."

"He lied, obviously. He probably did that himself, and then blamed me so he wouldn't get in trouble."

"Nice theory. Wanda, tell me the truth. Did Pietro lie about what happened?"

Wanda shook her head slowly. "No, sir," She whispered, her head down.

"You see, Lucinda, it's their word against yours. And I trust their word more than I trust yours, if I'm being honest. Laura believes them, too. Now, if you don't mind me asking, why door you do it?"

"She was being a brat."

"Wanda? A brat? If it was Pietro, I'd believe it. But Wanda is no brat."

"He's right!" Pietro snapped. "Wait... HEY!"

Wanda giggled, making Pietro and Clint smile at her.

"Now, tell me the real reason," Clint growled. "Before I kick you out of my house."

"She's a freak," Lucinda answered. "I can't believe you let her into your house."

"Wanda is no freak. Neither of the twins are. We opened our doors to them because they needed a place to stay. You know, legally speaking, we're their foster parents."

"But they aren't your kids."

Clint was about to snap back that they were going to be if they agreed to it, and then remembered that they hadn't told Wanda and Pietro of their plans yet. "They might as well be," Clint said instead. "And if you don't start seeing them that way, then I'm afraid that you will have to leave."

Everyone looked at him in shock.

"YOU TELL HER, DADDY!" Lila cheered. She ran over to Wanda, throwing her arms around Wanda's legs. "I love you, Sissy."

Wanda smiled, running her hand over Lila's long brown hair. She suddenly saw why Laura and Clint treated her and her brother like they did. 'They see us as their kids, too. Just like Cooper, Lila, and Nathaniel.' Her heart swelled with pride. "I love you, too, Li."

Lucinda's face was red with anger. "Then I guess we're leaving. Come on, Garrett." They stormed out of the house, driving away.

"I'm sorry that she doesn't like us," Pietro said. "We can leave."

"No, you won't," Clint snapped. "I meant every word that I said. You and your sister are honorary Bartons now. There's no escape for you. Lila just called Wanda 'Sissy', so it's official."

Lila giggled.

"At least for Wanda," Pietro grumbled, sounding feigning annoyance.

Then, Lila threw her arms around him, too. "I love you, too, Bubba!" She lifted her arms for Pietro to pick her up, which he did. She gave him a big kiss on the cheek.

"Yuck," Pietro said in fake disgust, wiping his cheek with his sleeve.

"You know you like it," Lila teased.

He stuck his tongue out at her. She copied him. Then she draped her arms around his neck, resting her head on his shoulder.

Cooper gave Wanda a hug. "You're cooler than Grandma and Grandpa ever were."

"Do you think we'll still get Christmas presents from them?" Lila thought aloud.

That made everyone laugh while the little girl and Cooper mulled it over.

"I think so," Cooper said finally. "I think they still like us. Or me, at least."

Lila blew a raspberry at him. Cooper did it right back.

"Enough with the spit!" Clint exclaimed. "Now, who wants to go to the hospital and meet baby Nate?!"

Choruses of "I do! I do!" rang throughout the house as the family made their way to the car.