-30-

POV: Fendrel

A light breeze shifted the flowery vines which served as the room's door. Rock-carved shelves housed glazed pots and lanterns. Bear skin furs were piled at the back of the cave. The saddle Fendrel bought at Lightgrass days ago sat propped against a wall.

"Why are you staring at it?" Fendrel pointed at the vine "door" his eyes had been drawn to.

"Sadon." Charles kept his gaze ahead. "He never came in while I was in my room, but I always thought he might, just to keep me on my toes...What about you?"

"The royal guard barged in on me at a few inns." Fendrel glanced at Charles. "I had to jump out the windows."

"Hm."

The two continued to stare forward.

"I'm actually surprised you agreed to share a room with me after you've gotten used to living alone." Charles stood to pick up a bear skin, then laid it flat on the ground.

Fendrel shrugged. "I forgot what it was like having company. The only roommate I've ever had was Frederick."

Charles grimaced. "Was he as messy in your living spaces as he was in public?"

"Even more so." Fendrel rolled his eyes. He chuckled. "I used to joke around with him that I'd get married quick, even if I didn't love the girl, just so I could move out and never put up with his mess."

A burst of laughter erupted from Charles. "I believe it."

Fendrel opened his mouth, then closed it. He cleared his throat. "You never told me what happened to him."

Charles pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't want to upset you further."

"What do you mean?" Fendrel crossed his arms.

The former dragon hunter sighed. "He escaped soon after you did, and so did the rest of your class."

"Then why didn't you—" Fendrel sat up quickly.

"Because I never heard from him afterward." Charles held his hand out to calm Fendrel. "He could never keep his mouth shut, and I was always stuck at Sadon's side. Don't you think that if Sadon heard about Frederick's whereabouts I would have too?"

Fendrel slouched back against the stone wall. "So you think he's really gone."

Charles kept his voice at a whisper. "Yeah. I don't know what happened to the rest of your class either."

"How did they escape without a plan when it was risky enough just to get me out?" Fendrel looked at the ceiling.

"I had to run into a few walls and cut myself to make it look like they ganged up on me." Charles removed one of his gloves and pointed at a faint white line on his hand. "I went a bit too deep here. Thankfully, Sadon believed me."

Fendrel clenched his teeth. "Ouch...What are you going to do now that you're free?"

Charles released a heavy sigh. "I have no idea. I used to think I'd go out and look for my family, but not anymore. Even if they miraculously forgave me, we're completely different people now."

"I get it." Fendrel nodded. "You could always stick with me if you wanted."

"I don't want to go near a hunter base ever again." Charles shook his head. "But let me know if you remember any calm places to live."

"I will." Fendrel's attention drew to the door at the sound of flapping wings.

"Can I come in?" Fog's voice came from outside the vines.