-22-

POV: Fendrel

The warmth from the fire died out and a cool breeze drifted over Fendrel. He closed his eyes, then reopened them. He was no longer in the weapon room. He was outside with the starry sky above him.

Someone nudged his shoulder. He looked over to see the grinning face of his brother.

"Hey, lighten up. We're only here for another day. We might as well have fun while we still can before we have to go back to training." Frederick took a sip of some mystery drink from a dragon-carved bowl.

The moon beamed bright overhead, reflecting on the still waters of the oases ahead of Fendrel. The city of the fire dragons was a lot more welcoming than one may have thought, especially considering it was in the middle of a desert.

Fendrel smiled halfheartedly. Part of him wished he had never left the comfort of their adoptive parents' den.

I should be studying the Stronghold's passages in case I need to run later, but instead I'm here pretending everything is fine.

A bowl similar to Frederick's was pushed in front of Fendrel across the sandstone he sat on. The pink-tinted liquid sloshed, almost escaping over the rim.

Fendrel looked up to see the red-feathered fire dragon they befriended on their first visit.

"Ember, I don't even know what this is." Fendrel gestured at the bowl.

"He's always been picky." Frederick threw an arm over his brother's shoulders.

"It's just cactus juice. It won't hurt you." Ember giggled.

Fendrel picked up the bowl and took a tentative sip.

"Well, cactus juice and scorpion venom." Ember shot him a smug smile.

Fendrel spewed out the drink. "Ember!" He groaned.

"Oh relax. It isn't enough to hurt you, I made sure they didn't add too much." Ember flicked her tail in front of her as she laid down.

Frederick shrugged. "I can't even taste the venom." He finished the drink in one gulp and reached for the bowl still in Fendrel's hands.

"And how would you know what venom tastes like?" Fendrel held the bowl away.

"It's better that you only have one." Ember took the bowl out of Frederick's reach.

Fendrel tuned out when Frederick started to plead with Ember for the bowl.

Fire dragons were everywhere, lounging on the sand, laughing with each other, racing over the dunes in the distance, drinking from similar bowls.

He sighed.

What I wouldn't give to have been born as a dragon.

"Are you okay?" Ember's talons lightly scratched the sandstone under them, something Fendrel noticed she did when she was nervous.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just got distracted." Fendrel shrugged it off.

"Well, promise me that you'll at least have a little bit of fun while you're here. Otherwise I'll have to force you to have fun." Ember's eyes flashed toward the center of the city plaza.

Fendrel pointed at her. "You are not making me sing again."

"Okay, fine." She feigned a look of disappointment. "You're so-o-o boring."

"Oh how horrible." Fendrel let out an exaggerated sigh. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

A mischievous smile lit up the fire dragon's face.