-15-

POV: Fendrel

After searching the forest and not picking up even a scent of Mist, Venom led the others back to complete the interviews. One was with a floral dragon whose feathers swirled like a pink rose and whose paws were green and had thorns like the flower's stem. As she left, she looked over her shoulder at Venom. "I don't know why you're getting yourself into trouble with these humans. It's more likely they'll hurt Mist once you find her than help her return home."

Fog's feathers bristled and her tail slammed into the ground. "Come on." She trudged through the forest.

"Where?" Fendrel sped up to walk alongside her.

"I'm going to get Fragrance to apologize to you." She nodded as if convincing herself that this was really what she was going to do.

Venom sighed. "Hold on, Fog. He won't apologize. It's just the way he is."

Fog halted. Her wings sank. "I've just never seen him act like that before. He's always so nice whenever I've seen him at meetings."

The dusk dragon came up on her other side. "He tries to make a good impression on you, so if he ever got into trouble, you would vouch for him."

Fendrel peeked out from around Fog. "If he's such an anti-human activist, then why is he even a noble? I thought the king, or his parents, would've made sure good dragons were in power. Do they agree with him because of the War Across the Sea?"

Venom snorted. "No, they trust him because he's a snake who gets on everyone's good side, then he slanders your name when you see him as he truly is."

Fendrel raised his eyebrows. "You sound like you're speaking from experience."

"I almost lost my position as a noble years ago due to his sly games. And unfortunately, young Cloud is as naïve as his father was. He believes Fragrance truly cares for him and Mist." Venom shook his head. "We should get back to finding Mist. The sooner we finish here, the sooner we can leave this place." He shook off a leaf that his claws had punctured.

Thea put her hands on her hips. "We already checked what we could. You said yourself that you couldn't smell her. Where else is there to look?"

Fendrel shrugged. "I don't think she's here, but if she is, she's somewhere we haven't checked yet."

"There is one major spot we overlooked." Venom grinned, his eyes alight with mischief.

"And that would be?" Thea waved her hand for him to continue.

A sly grin pulled at the corners of Venom's mouth. "Fragrance's living quarters."

Fendrel's eyes flashed with excitement. "This should be fun."

Thea and Fog shared a look.

"Wait. We're going to intrude?" Fog's wings flared out.

"Fantastic." Fendrel clapped his hands. "When?"

"Definitely while Fragrance is still away being preened, so while we still have daylight. We may only have about an hour left." Venom looked at Thea and Fog. "Why don't you two investigate the more remote spots with Oliver and Viper once more? We'll meet you back here when you're done."

"Okay, but we don't even know where those are." Thea waved around at the surrounding forest.

"I can show you."

The group turned in the voice's direction.

Birch, who stood still and blended into the sprinkling of birch trees around them, moved toward them.