Venom bowed, his wings sinking and his chest heaving. "Your majesty, we found Mist."

From behind Venom, Mist crept into view. She froze once Cloud's gaze landed on her.

"Mist." The dragon king's voice hitched. He stood and began to unfurl his wings.

The two ran for each other and embraced. Mist began to cry while Cloud clenched his jaw and kept his eyes on the ceiling.

Fendrel felt Fog's wing brush against him as she danced on her toes, her face full of giddiness.

Cloud cupped Mist's face with his front paws. "Where were you? Why did you go?"

Mist placed her own paws over his. "I just wanted some space before the ceremony...then I was chased away by hunters. They speared my wing so I couldn't fly."

The dragon king stretched out her wings, only to find no injury.

"I ran until they caught up to me, then they healed me and trapped me in an enchantment." Mist closed her wings.

"What were dragon hunters doing in the Hazy Woods? They never come here." Cloud looked over at Fog. "Have you ever seen hunters, even on the outskirts of the forest?"

Fog shook her head. "Only on the borders of the ice tribe's land."

Venom made a thoughtful noise, his eyes narrowing. "That's odd."

Fendrel's lips pressed into a thin line. "They must have planned this. Maybe they didn't intend on getting Mist, but just one vapor dragon to masquerade as the prince's fiancé...Why?"

"Hey." Venom nudged Fendrel's shoulder. "I see your mind spinning. You can go off on a chase for the hunters later. Relax for now."

Rolling his shoulders, Fendrel sighed. "Fine."

Cloud pointed at Fendrel. "What were you talking about?"

Fendrel wrung his hands. "We don't know why, but the dragon hunters kidnapped Mist and placed her under an enchantment so she would turn human, and her speech would be limited as well. I found her while she was under the spell and it seemed like she couldn't say a word about it or where she was really from."

"It's true." Mist looked behind herself at Fendrel.

Fendrel approached them. "The hunters are working with some of the royal guard, and they brought her to the palace to be married to their prince."

Cloud looked at Mist again. "You didn't—"

"No, the prince ran off before the ceremony could take place." Mist leaned against Cloud.

"The prince ran off?" Cloud's neck stretched out toward Fendrel.

"Yes, in search of me." Fendrel shook his head. "It's a long story, but I remember hearing him say he didn't want to get married."

"He was fun to have around." Charles chuckled.

"And who are you?" Cloud approached the group but gazed at Charles.

"I'm an old friend of Fendrel's." Charles grinned.

Birch, who was so silent Fendrel forgot he was there, bowed low. "I am a servant of Fragrance, also captured by dragon hunters, Your Majesty."

Cloud made a thoughtful humming noise. "It seems your search was much more eventful than mine."

Fendrel gave Venom a knowing look. "I think it was."

"Well, come join us." Cloud waved the group over with his wing and walked beside Mist, their tails entwined, to the meeting table. "The other nobles are resting in their rooms, so you can take their spots."