"Wait, you don't know?" Cassius sat back.

"Know what?" Charles stared at the prince.

"The members of the royal guard are buying dragon hatchlings from merchants. They keep the dragon hunters around so everyone will be focused on trying to find them while the royal guard secretly enslaves dragons." Cassius' voice sounded poisonous.

Charles leaned forward. "What?"

The prince nodded. "They want to keep the dragon hunters around."

Thea scoffed. "Unbelievable."

"And you said your father won't listen to you about Zoricus." Fendrel propped his cheek on his palm. "Right?"

Cassius laughed with incredulousness. "If he listened to me, I'd be proficient in fighting with a spear and I wouldn't be engaged. Of course, my father always favors Zoricus' opinion, so the marriage is a must and—" he deepened his voice and put on a scowl "—princes shouldn't play with weapons."

Charles nodded. "And it's even worse that he likes pinning false crimes on already established criminals just so he has more justification to go after them, even if he has no intention of actually arresting them. I've done some awful things, but he pretended, to come after me for stealing a horse that I'd never seen in my life."

Fendrel cocked an eyebrow. "Brown with white spots?"

The ex-hunter narrowed his eyes. "You must be joking."

"What was I supposed to do?" Fendrel shrugged. "I needed a getaway. I had to pretend I was scared of Sadon sending you after me."

A large swoosh of wings signaled Venom's landing behind Fendrel. "You two have a very strange friendship."

The group turned to face him.

Charles shrugged. "At least it isn't boring."

"Yes, and at least we know you two get along." Venom's gaze switched from Charles to Fendrel. "I'm curious, how much do you know about the fire tribe?"

Fendrel grinned. "They're the largest tribe, very carefree, notorious for celebrating anything. Why?"

"Yes." Venom looked pleased. "All that, and their noble is infamous for knowing everything there is to know on the rumor mill of every tribe. She's our best bet on finding Mist. We're running out of options, so I suggest we ask her for help."

Charles leaned to Fendrel. "Who's Mist?"

"She is a vapor dragon who was to be married to our king but disappeared just before the ceremony." Venom answered for Fendrel.

The dusk dragon paced in front of the group. "All the newly freed dragons are being taken care of now. We'll leave tomorrow morning." Venom gave Oliver a regretful look. "Young one, I think it would be best if you stayed here—" he glanced at the fire dragon, "—at least until it's safe enough for you to rejoin us."

Oliver's face became pouty. "I can't go with you?"

"I can stay with him." Charles placed a hand on Oliver's shoulder.

"I have already spoken with a few dragons here. They're well-versed in how to care for humans. He'll be safe." Venom lowered his head a bit. "Besides, we may still need your help. It won't be for long."

Oliver refused to meet the dusk dragon's eyes.

"No, please. I insist." Charles squeezed Oliver's shoulder. "I know I agreed to help you find your missing dragon, but Oliver needs to be around someone he's familiar with."