The fire dragon roared at them, a haunting cry that often plagued Fendrel's dreams.

Venom stood between the newcomer and Fendrel, who broke into a cold sweat.

That's him. That's the rogue who attacked us earlier, who's been following me for as long as I can remember. But why are his stripes gone? And why isn't he trying to kill me?

<~><~><~>

The fire dragon turned to face the others. He was missing quite a few scales from his fight against Venom, and his chest heaved as though he had been running for hours. He locked eyes with Fendrel, then broke contact to meet Venom's gaze.

"I understand that a simple apology won't make up for the atrocities I've committed. I also don't expect you to forgive me any time soon or at all, for that matter, but please understand that I will do the best I can to redeem myself in your eyes." The fire dragon gave an awkward bow, lowering his head and stretching out his good wing.

"Venom, I thought you killed him." Fendrel stayed frozen.

The dusk dragon shook his head and spoke so only Fendrel could hear. "Sometime during our battle, he collapsed, and slowly his stripes faded until they were completely gone. He was still asleep when I left him. I apologize, I planned to ask Fragrance to put guards around him for me, but I became distracted."

"We can't just leave him here. We don't even know what happened to him. He could still be dangerous." Fendrel's heart pounded.

He isn't dead. I'm still in danger.

Venom nodded. "We need to continue our investigation elsewhere. The rogue will travel as far from you and your human friends as possible. I promise you that."

Fendrel gulped, but his throat felt completely dry. "Okay." He still had his eyes trained on the fire dragon. "I'll tell the others."

He relayed the message to the other humans, Fog, Birch, and Viper. Fendrel turned to Venom. "We're leaving now?"

Venom nodded. He threw out his wing to point out of Fresh Grove. And winced from the cuts covering his body. "Go on, and head for the Black-Brick Ruins. We have to bring Viper back to her family. I'll stay behind you all to keep an eye out."

Leading the way, Fendrel headed to the visitor's area. Once there, he picked up the saddle and fastened it to Fog.

"What are the Black-Brick Ruins?" Thea looked at Fendrel. "And what was all that about?"

"It's dusk dragons' dominion. We'll be safe there." Fendrel gave her a look. "And Fragrance is even worse than we originally thought."

Thea raised her eyebrows. "Okay, well next time you brawl with a dragon make sure it's clear what you're fighting for. Oliver isn't going to let me get a wink of sleep with all his questions."

Fendrel snickered. After a glance over his shoulder, Fendrel led the group toward the bottom of Fresh Grove.

"Well, this is one step closer to finding Mist." Fog had a small smile.

Sighing, Fendrel looked up at the vapor dragon. "What do you mean? We didn't find any clues."

And now my stalker is joining us.

"No, we didn't, but—" Fog poked his back with the thumb of her wing "—we did check one more hiding place off our list."

Birch slunk up to Fendrel, his wings drooping. "I'm sorry I didn't step in, even after you rescued me."

"It's fine. You might have gotten hurt." Fendrel looked back again. Venom and the ex-rogue had just begun to follow them. "But why would you think of helping me? You're Fragrance's servant."