-14-

POV: Fendrel

They hadn't been in the air for long.

No one had spoken another word of Fragrance.

"So, what's he like?" Fendrel leaned a bit to the side to catch Venom's eye.

Fog grinned. "He's really nice."

Venom snorted. "He's one of the nobles who didn't show up for Cloud's emergency meeting."

"Maybe he was busy." Fog gave a denying laugh.

The dusk dragon lowered his voice. "Maybe he was fretting over his own precious scales instead of listening to the messenger."

Fendrel watched Birch for a reaction. The young dragon clenched and unclenched his claws repeatedly, rhythmically, as if he were trying to distract himself from the conversation.

Venom lurched to a stop, hovering in the air. Thea gasped and grabbed onto Fendrel and Oliver for support. The other dragons followed suit, worry and confusion etched on their faces.

The dusk dragon whipped his head around, surveying the hills below. He sniffed the air repeatedly. A low growl emanated from his bared maw. "Everyone land. Now." No one hesitated to follow his order.

"Venom, what is it?" Fog sat on her haunches and stretched out her neck, trying to scan the hills.

"Keep your voices low." He raised his head again. "I smell a rogue."

Fog's feathers bristled and she flattened herself into the grass. Birch dropped right beside her, covering Viper with his wings, and Sour flexed his claws which seemed to glow with a mysterious light.

"Is it a dragon?" Fendrel looked around, wide-eyed.

"Yes." Venom crouched but kept his legs tense, ready to spring into action. Thea, Oliver, and Fendrel slid off in a hurry. "Go to Fresh Grove, I'll catch up later. Don't you dare fly unless he starts chasing you."

"Do you see him yet?" Fendrel still searched.

Venom sat on his haunches. He held his breath for a moment, his eyes glued to a specific spot. Fendrel turned to see what Venom was staring at.

A red fire dragon with purple stripes was in the field amidst the hills, it's eyes locked on the group.

The rogue's tail flicked and the spines on his back bristled.

A chill ran down Fendrel's spine. He backed away, never taking his eyes off the rogue.

Venom went back on all fours. "You should leave now."

"Thea, Oliver, don't make any sudden movements. And don't turn your back on him, okay?" Fendrel continued to walk backward.

Fog crept toward Fendrel. "Here." She crouched.

"You're already carrying the saddle and supplies. You don't need any extra weight." Fendrel shook his head.

The vapor dragon poked Fendrel's side. "There isn't any time for arguing."

Fendrel flinched and got on the saddle. Fog wobbled, her legs adjusting to the added weight. Thea and Oliver slowly clambered onto Sour's shoulders. Birch scooped Viper into his paws and sat on his haunches, spreading his wings for balance.

The rogue stepped a few paces forward at their sudden movement.

"Go. I'll hold him off." Venom flared out his wings and lashed his tail, trying to draw the rogue's attention. He roared loud enough for his voice to carry as far as he could see.