The dusk dragon sighed. He pointed at Fog with one of his wickedly sharp claws. "Fine. But if you get a single scratch on you, you'll stay back when the next situation concerning hunters arises."

Fog nodded. "I'll be careful."

The cart was much closer.

"The birch dragon's eyes are closed." Venom returned his surveillance to the floral dragon.

Fog swung her head around and gazed at the saddle with a puzzled expression.

"Here." Fendrel removed it from her back.

"Thank you." Fog shook out her wings.

Fendrel nodded. He climbed onto Venom's shoulders without the dragon having to crouch.

"You're getting used to this." Venom angled his head to look at Fendrel.

Fendrel shrugged. "It isn't that new to me anymore."

With Sour and Viper hanging back, the trio spied on the approaching cart.

The hunters' gazes landed on the chained humans by the boulders. One of them whipped their horses again. The sudden jolt of speed startled the birch dragon awake as the cart rumbled across the uneven earth.

The captive's eyes shot around in his skull. He wriggled and squirmed but barely moved. The birch mimic released a forlorn howl.

One of the hunters turned in his seat and whipped the dragon, spooked by his sudden cry.

Fog flinched. "He looks young. He's probably still a hatchling."

"You're right. He is young." Venom's ears flattened against his head. His claws dug into the cliff edge. "Let's go."

The two dragons pushed off, hurtling toward the cart.

"Fog, fly to the birch dragon. Try to comfort him." Venom jutted his chin at the birch mimic.

Fog nodded, veering toward the back of the cart.

Venom flew in front of the cart and dug his talons into the earth for a quick landing.

The horses reared up, whinnying. One of the hunters shouted in panic.

Fendrel jumped off Venom's shoulders and raced for the cart.

Venom ran past him and shattered the wood of the cartwheels.

The hunters stumbled out, brandishing daggers from their belts. Before they could strike, Venom pinned one with his paws.

The second hunter dropped his dagger and dashed away.

Fendrel raced after him, swiping the fallen knife from the ground. He kicked the back of the hunter's knee and grabbed him, placing the flat side of the blade to his neck.

Chest heaving, the hunter froze. He raised his hands above his lowered head.

Fog cut the ropes around the captured dragon with the metal claws.

He threw off his restraints and stumbled off the cart, cowering behind Fog. Dark blue powder caked his nose.

Fendrel pulled the hunter to his feet and shoved him toward Venom. He noticed the birch mimic's stained nose. "Give us the knock-out powder."

The hunter reached into his boot. His hand shot out and whipped toward Fendrel's face, a small gleaming blade in his hand.

Before Fendrel realized it, he grabbed the hunter's wrist and twisted it.

Yelping, the hunter dropped his knife.

Venom snapped his teeth mere inches from the hunter's face. "Rat!"