The prince shrugged off that thought.

I'm eighteen now, I need to make my own decisions. If I miss dinner, that's on me. Of course, he would never say that to his stubborn father's face.

His thoughts turned sour. Ever since he had turned eighteen, Cassius's father had been bringing suitors for him to marry.

He should be teaching me about how to help the surplus of orphans, or wrangling dragon hunters into dungeons, not playing matchmaker while our kingdom goes to ruin.

He did love his father, but he rarely got along with him.

The king's negligence to educate Cassius was only one of his flaws. Another one Cassius couldn't stand was, in the king's eyes, the head of the royal guard could do no wrong.

Cassius tilted his head to the side. Well, I can't blame Father for not seeing Zoricus's misdeeds since he isn't patrolling the city every day like I am.

The prince scoffed. Patrolling, what Zoricus should be doing every day. Instead he's buying dragon slaves off the black market with his buddies.

Just then, one of Zoricus's closest friends ducked into a building, his armor unequipped and his commoner clothes making him appear like an everyday citizen.

Isn't he supposed to be on duty today?

One of the few things his father had taught him was which high-ranking guards were stationed on which days.

As Cassius passed the door, his fingers itched for the knob. Despite the sense of anxiety growing within him, he entered the building. It was a small shop for high-quality clothing and jewelry.

"Another rich merchant." Cassius eyed the shop owner who spoke to the guard. He turned his back to them and fiddled with a rack displaying a variety of necklaces.

"I'll be right with you, sir." The shop owner glanced at Cassius.

The prince nodded but kept his eyes on the jewelry.

He was hungry for more gossip revolving around the royal guard. More gossip meant more dirt, and more dirt meant a possibility that Zoricus would be defenestrated.

Cassius slipped a piece of paper out of the coat he wore. It had a list of code words he'd heard wealthy merchants use with their meanings beside them.

"Good morning, sir. You're up early." The shop owner placed his hands on the counter that separated him from the guard. "What are you looking for today?"

The guard made a humming noise. "I'm looking for a cut gem."

Cassius looked at his paper. Next to "cut gem" he had written "tamed/broken gemstone dragon."

He's buying a dragon. If he could prove this transaction took place, he wouldn't have to deal with Zoricus anymore. But I can't prove it by myself.

"Mhm, what type of jewelry?" The shop owner's voice drew away as if afraid of attracting Cassius' attention.

"A ring." The guard kept the same tone of voice.

Beside "ring" Cassius had written "hatchling."

Cassius fingered the large clear gemstone of a necklace in front of him, angling it to spy on the men behind him. The image was distorted, but he could see the guard tossing cautious glances over his shoulder.

He saw the shop owner nod. "Right away, sir. Wait right here." He opened a door at the back of the shop and left.

The prince stepped to a table showcasing vibrantly colored clothing. A small smile played on his lips.