Cloud opened and closed his wing to test it out and made a deep purring sound.

"Well, I trust that you know how to get back to your home?" Fendrel expected this to end as usual—with a thanks and a farewell, most likely never to see each other again, especially since vapor dragons were so elusive.

Cloud seemed to remember something. "I actually have a favor to ask of you, if you will accept it."

Fendrel blinked in surprise. "Um, all right. What is it?"

"I am afraid that we may not have enough time to discuss it here, and there are others included in this favor who need information." Cloud was stiff. "If you will join me to the Hazy Woods, I will gladly tell you."

I don't have anywhere to be soon. The hunters' dragon abductions have slowed down recently, whether that's a good or bad thing, I can't tell, but I don't have any leads to track them down either way.

"Sure. Besides, I haven't been close to any dragon civilization for a while." Fendrel adjusted the shoulder strap of his bag.

Cloud nodded his head, pleased that his request was agreed with. He lowered himself and Fendrel cautiously climbed atop his shoulders.

Thea gasped. "Can I come too?"

Fendrel waited for Cloud to grant permission but the dragon stayed silent, glancing at the Liberator. "I guess, if that's all right with you, Your Majesty?"

I never thought I would ever say that.

"I do not have any reason to say no. You did help me." Cloud waited for her to climb on before he stood up again. He turned his head around to look at Oliver. "As for you, we will decide what to do with you later."

Oliver nodded with excitement, gripping the spikes on Cloud's neck.

Without another word, Cloud spread his massive wings and took flight, cutting through branches, heading for the dark clouds like an arrow.

They broke through the layer of storm clouds and the mid-afternoon sun beamed on them. Thea's face was a mix of terror and excitement as she clutched Cloud's back spikes behind her. Oliver spread his arms out wide as if he were the one flying.

When the shock of lifting off left them, Thea yelled ahead at Fendrel. "I thought you said dragons didn't speak our language."

Fendrel kept Oliver from falling off Cloud's shoulders while he held onto the spikes on Cloud's neck. He glanced over his shoulder at Thea. "Only royalty can understand and speak to us."

"We really need to talk about your job more often. I can't believe I never knew this." Thea took her hands off the spike to gesture at him before returning her hands to their original position.

We've been friends long enough for me to trust, I hope.

<~><~><~>

Fendrel was about to ask how far away Cloud's home was when the vapor dragon ducked back into the sheet of precipitation and broke through the bottom. The giant trees and pillar-like cliffs of the Hazy Woods—a forest in the upper Free Lands—stood tall and strong. Small clearings adorned with ponds dotted the ground. Broken bridges and towers made of cracked stone and metal clung to the cliffs, remnants of long-passed human civilization taken over by its current residents. Vapor dragons looked like silver and gray ghosts as they wove through the trees, walked up stone-carved staircases on the outsides of the cliffs, danced with each other, and glided on the light breezes. Thick streams of fog poured down the sides of the cliffs like waterfalls trapped in slow-motion.