Chapter 1 - What Could Go Wrong?

Humiya

I looked at my room in the Leaky Cauldron.

Dusty. Dark. Musty. And I could swear there were some cockroaches. But it was a thousand times better than the hall I was locked in for thousands of centuries. So I set down my suitcase and crept under the bed to murder some bugs.

After I was freed from the hall, I asked if I could stay in Europe to tour the world. And Annabeth decided that they could stay too, probably since they did want a tour of Europe without going on some world-stomping quests, quote Percy. And apparently, their friends Leo and Calypso wanted the same too. So we got our rooms in the Leaky Cauldron, and we waited for them to come on the fire breathing dragon.

I recalled the conversation I had with the demigods.

"So... we don't have enough money to get three rooms, but we can afford two." Annabeth had said.

"So how do we split the rooms?" I asked. "Girls in one room and boys in another?"

"Maybe you get one room, we get one room?" Percy asked, gesturing to himself and Annabeth.

"Are you being too polite, or is it just that you two want some space?"

"The latter, no offense." Percy said. Annabeth elbowed him, probably thinking it was rude. 

"None taken. Besides, I probably would never get in a romantic relationship, and I don't give it a dam." I said. "Just promise me one thing. No funny business."

Percy spluttered. "You know we aren't that sort of people!" he said.

"Just saying." I said.

"This situation is kind of ridiculous. We're being supervised by a fifteen year old."

"Mind your manners, young man. I'm at least a thousand." I said.

"Right." Annabeth said. "Let that be the end of it, and let's get some sleep."

"No funny business." I had said.

Now that I was staring under the bed, I wondered if I should have gotten Annabeth to bunk with me.

Nonsense, my brain said, you handled so many cruel memories and you can't handle one cockroach nest?

Shut up, I said back.

Taking a deep breath, I poked around the place until I hit the jackpot.

Whoops.

The huge insects flooded out, and some got onto my face, crawling over my eyebrows. In haste to get my face out of there, I banged my head onto the frame. When I finally managed, there was a cockroach staring at my eyes while hanging from my forehead.

"Eek!" I screamed. Undignified, I know. I began headbanging to get it off.

"Humiya are you okay? Are you okay, Humiya?" (Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal reference) Annabeth asked from her room.

"I'm--"

A roach flew into my hair and cut me off. I screamed again. Annabeth's curse could be heard from here.

"Holy section steel, she's in trouble, Percy! Quit drooling!"

Soon, Annabeth practically flew into my room. She was wearing navy pajamas, while Percy had on a black one, which wouldn't have been funny if it weren't for the clown fishes and sharks printed on it. His eyes were barely open.

"This is bad." Annabeth decided. She grabbed a random broom that was lying around (magical or not, I wasn't sure) and swept the cockroaches off of me. Then she started stomping them flat with her slippers. It somehow reminded me of Clara in The Nutcracker whacking the rat villain down with her slipper. Percy stood and gawked.