5. Identify

Loki and Blanche caught a cab back to his house. It was exactly how she remembered it, welcoming, homey, and so unlike it’s inhabitant.

“Come in.” Loki seemed to soften up during the ride there but she could still tell something was bothering him.

“So what was the deal at the bar? Did you know Lenny?” She asked entering the door.

Loki sighed, of course she would not let him stay quiet. “It was nothing of the sort, I was merely.... displeased with the way he ‘danced’ with you.”

Ohhh. So that was it. Loki was jealous. “Well that’s what you get for not dancing with me. Someone else took your spot.” Blanche walked over to the lounge, knowing that his comfortable leather couches were there, missing her.

“And the fact that you knew him already.” It sounded like a question but Blanche couldn’t be too sure.

“Yeah, we go way back. We used to date actually. Kind of crazy actually. His daughter is older than me –

“What?” Loki’s voice was low, he was seething.

“He’s what, 46 – 47? What makes it even more unusual is that I had a huge crush on him when I was younger.” Blanche chuckled as she let herself relax on his couch.

Loki distanced himself from her. He calculated everything in his head. “How old were you when you first saw him?”

“I don’t know, maybe 12? Probably younger. After that song ‘Again’, he stole my heart.”

“What about now?” Loki’s words were spat out.

“Well, we’re just friends. I think it was more a physical relationship than a serious one. No need to fret my dear.” Her voice was cheery, singsong almost.

Loki didn’t like the sound of this. But wait, how old was he compared to this girl? He was practically an ancestor to her.

“There’s something about older men that do it for me I guess.” She giggled.

“What about Liam?” Loki’s voice were like lemon drops, salt, on an open wound.

“I don’t know. He was different I guess.” The tone of her voice had changed. The bouncy, happy Blanche was broken. What had happened? Everything was going right, for the mean time. “Or maybe it was just the right timing. My judgement was probably clouded – his voice was amazing.”

Loki finally made his way toward her, sitting down. “What did you want to do?” Maybe changing the subject of conversation would bring her jovial self back?

“I don’t know. The only thing that comes to mind is a movie? And maybe some chocolate?”

“Alright. What movie? –

“Can I just try something?” She interrupted him.

Loki looked at her, his eyes bore into hers. He was trying to figure out what was going on in that head of hers. You could tell a lot by a person’s eyes. If they were bad actors, you could tell everything by their eyes. They both said nothing as he analyzed her. And then.....there it was. Why hadn’t he seen it before? He probably wasn’t looking for it, not accepting it maybe? Loki saw the hurt, the need for comfort, the sadness in her eyes. She faltered, perhaps she was doubting herself now? He leaned in closer, there was something else. He saw her vulnerability, she was starting to feel something for him, there was a craving in her eyes, a thirst. “Sure.” His voice was deep, hushed, and rough. Soon after he uttered the word, Blanche had put her lips to his. Her lips were moist, supple and perfect. This girl was a mess, yet hypnotising. She was broken, like him. Loki moved his lips slowly, matching her pace. He felt an overwhelming sense of pride, that he was what she had wanted. He felt Blanche kiss him roughly, the hunger overcoming her. He wanted this.