2. Fracture

Loki grew accustomed to sleepless nights, he welcomed them with open arms. A few months ago, he would grow restless in his efforts and frustration would soon overcome him. The thoughts running through his mind were tolerable but something he had lost sleep over. His Midgardian body held no comfort. It needed the respite but his perturbed mind would simply not allow it. So here he was again, deteriorating in his smooth sheets. The material smothering him was ill fitting and could hardly measure up to the superior textile wonders that were woven for him in Asgard. He let his meek human chest rise and fall as he breathed in the paltry air the earth was swallowed up in. Inadequate. The artificial light beyond his window was starting to flicker, something that would later test his limits. Loki looked toward the ceiling, maybe something as simple as relieving himself, to find a call girl would do the trick? No, that was no longer an option. He’d done so one night, as a last resort. The girl was young, flawed, substandard, and ill experienced. To make the affair worse, he’d felt unexpectedly guilty, remorseful, and awkward. Everything about it seemed iniquitous. Loki shuddered under his sheets at the thought of the girl. No. He would not be relieving himself tonight.

He turned over, letting his skin revel in the cold material. His thoughts wandered and led him to Blanche, the girl at the bar. It had been almost two days now and he still hadn’t heard from her. Maybe she was busy? He didn’t know what, but something led him to believe that was not the case. Sighing, he allowed his thoughts to be overcome with images of her; he remembered her voice, the way she sang into the microphone. Loki could not help but feel a sudden pull, a want to be near her. He had convinced himself that it was because of her melodic voice, something he had never heard before, something that had attracted him.

Today was quiet. Birds sang to the morning light and there were few sirens heard this morning. Blanche woke, the sun streaming through her olive green drapes. There was something about this morning that felt different. She’d had two horrible days after the other, maybe today was going to be different? She rose to prepare her breakfast, a simple coffee and two buttered pieces of toast was pretty standard. Having enough time to take a solid bath, she let her skin soak in the fruity smelling water before scrubbing herself clean. In only her towel, she plucked and primed herself for the day. Her make-up was a simple, highlighting her features and enhancing her beauty. She opted for more of a natural look today with a bright lip. Pulling on a tight pair of black high-waisted pants and a plum coloured bra, she matched her pants with a sleek blazer. Buttoning up her blazer, she put a bit of sophistication to her outfit with a pair of gorgeous heels. Looking great and feeling great was definitely a mantra of hers, one that she kept true to even on her dog days. Look like shit, feel like shit.

                Blanche had prepared herself, she was ready incredibly early this morning. She only started at twelve and it was only half past ten. They were opening late today due to her boss, his daughter was having her first birthday and all the staff were invited but she wasn’t all that keen on children. She was going to stop by to drop off a gift but nothing more. Blanche clutched onto her large handbag and Loki’s oversized jacket. Hopefully he’d be awake? Maybe he was the type to sleep in? Or would he be working? Nevertheless, she would try and drop it off before heading off to the small get-together. Blanche triple checked that the gift was in her handbag before locking the door.

Knock-Knock-Knock-Knock

Her knuckles rapped softly at the door. She waited, pulling her falling bag up back on to her shoulder. She hugged the jacket closer to her body, taking in his smell. It was a faint musk, a very urbane sort of a smell. The door opened slowly, showing a very tired looking man. He hovered over her.

“Good morning. I hope I didn’t wake you?” Blanche looked up at him, her face mimicking one of a puppy asking for something it knew it was not allowed.