Seventy-Eight

I kept staring down at the concrete floor that was at least 100 ft. from where I stood on top of the railing.

It had been a week since I talked to L. I figured that I should distance myself from him if I was going to do this.

I'd been considering it for a long time, at least a year. But now, I was going to take the chance to take control of my life.

My dad and mom had come home even worse than before. I don't know where they went, but I found out that my dad had been dealing cocaine when the police came to our house.

My dad was arrested, my older sister was contacted as a witness--apparently she knew about what was happening. My mom would get drunk and sob every night, and we were losing money fast because she wasn't going to work.

So, life hasn't been going in my favor, obviously--but I don't need it to go my way.

I'll just quit the game.

I positioned myself again on the railing, letting one foot hover over the edge. An overwhelming sense of freedom overcame me--it's all going to be over soon, and I don't need to fear death anymore. If I lose balance with one foot in this railing, who cares? If I fall backwards, I can just get back up and go back onto the railing. And if I fall forwards, I'll be dead--which isn't even that bad.

Just as I began to wobble, on purpose--maybe as some kind of sick way to decide whether or not I'd be dying right now--footsteps crashed on the linoleum top of the school.

"AMIRA!!"

It was a male's voice. L? I vaguely thought, but I was already tilting forwards towards the 100ft.+ drop from the rooftop of the hell we called "school." A good mile away from the second hell that I called "home".

This is it. Thank God.