Chapter 5: Sparks Between Our Touch

Start from the beginning

Feeling the warm air hit my figure, smelling the baked pastry, I smiled. Already guessing what the two of the most important people in my life was making.

Popping up my head in the kitchen, I ask. "Cupcakes?" The first one to take a glance at me was my mom, a small smile crept up on her beautiful face.

Then, grandmother turns around as she skillfully whisk the cream substance, I supposed it was the filling for the cupcakes or perhaps the delicious frosting as a cherry on top.

"Aw pumpkin, it's actually a pancake, Cupcakes in the morning can give you some poo-poo don't you think?" She laughed, turning around in a swift, leaving you dumbfounded.

'poo poo?'

"You mean like taking a—" I say loudly, still gazing at my grandmother's back when my mom's soft chuckle stops me from moving onto the upcoming words.

"Yes honey, basically your grandmother here thinks that if you eat too many sweets in the morning, it can give you a stomachache which leaves you handling 'that' problem." emphasizing the word that, I grinned cheekily.

"Why are we even having this conversation?" I say, feeling amused at the odd topic in the early morning.

Not long after, my grandmother turns the heat on. No oil, no butter and just directly put the batter onto the pan. Hearing the sizzling sound, I observe it quietly.

"Oh crap— mom, you don't have Lemon Balm on the shelf?"

Listening to the sudden tone of my mother's, My head perk up, seeing the complex scene took place in front of me.

"What? I could have sworn I kept it in the same drawer sweet." Grandmother said, hurriedly checking every cabinet, making a small creak sound every time.

Taking small strides towards them, I observe closely as I ask "What is it?" My mom caught a short glance at me before sighing loudly, hands swiftly move between the dark brown locks of her as she answered. "We don't have the main ingredient for today's lunch apparently."

"Lemon Balm?"

My mother nodded, again checking every cabinet in the kitchen. To be honest, It was such a futile action, really.

So I break the silence "why don't we buy some more?".

My mother took a glimpse of my confused state before saying "The town market isn't selling herbals anymore. Many shops thought it was too expensive to take it as their selling point."

"Oh! Wait- Actually, Bernard usually sells mysterious things there. Plants, herbals, and others. Maybe I should check, to see if he still sells it." Seeing my grandmother taking a coat off the hanger, next to the wooden door made me jump out my senses.

"I'll come with you! Why would I let my grandmother walks alone anyway." I said, loud enough for my grandmother to pick up the sentence as she smiled ever so brightly and hurriedly step outside.

"We'll be back mom!"

I exclaimed, taking a black coat of the hanger, immediately hit by the cold morning breeze. Following my grandmother's steps as I went further from the house.