22 | an emptiness inside the heart

LORENZO WOULD BE lying if he said that the thought of leaving San Francisco didn't hurt him

LORENZO WOULD BE lying if he said that the thought of leaving San Francisco didn't hurt him. He had started planning everything after returning to Gia's apartment that day, not actually purchasing his ticket or anything because that would mean opening his old bank account which if his family has hacked into – he definitely knew that they had, though they could easily track his exact location and he didn't want that.

Not yet, at least.

He had a plan – or at least, he was in the process of forming a plan. He couldn't decide if it was a good one or not since the only way for him to find out would be by carrying it out and he still had a long way to go because reaching that step.

Everything needed to be precise. There were no second chances. He needed to get it right on the first try. His family was in San Francisco. La Famiglia was soon to attack which was the reason why he knew that he had to hurry.

But before he could actually do anything about it, he gave himself a week off. Bold and risky, he knew that but he had to say goodbye. He had to enjoy the comforts and the love that this city provided for him for one more week.

He couldn't bear to think what would happen when he would leave, what Gia would do and think about him, what Ryan and Amalia would think, how this will impact their life and so on.

Maybe he was getting ahead of himself, maybe they wouldn't care. Maybe he wasn't that important to them. And that was okay because they were important to him and he wasn't going to leave without saying goodbye.

On his last morning in San Francisco, when he woke up, the first thing he did was visit his boss at the bar and quit. Deepest Desire may not have been his favourite place to work but it still had a great place in his heart. He even left a small note for Leon saying that he would miss him and that he was thankful for keeping him company at work.

Then, he went to a bakery and bought breakfast for him and the girls. He may not like Liliana but he wasn't going to be rude, his nonna taught him better than that. He really hoped he would make her proud tomorrow.

When he did make back to his girlfriend's house, the sight that greeted him shocked him. He opened the door with the spare keys she had given him and yelled "Good morning. I've got food," while walking inside.

No response came, only a small sniffle.

He dropped the bags on the small table next to the door along with the keys and ran inside to see who was crying. He didn't see anyone else in the living room but he did notice something weird. The room looked somewhat bare; most of the living room was bare, a lot of pictures were missing from the walls and so were some furniture like some lamps and candles.

He moved past the sitting room and towards the bedrooms. Liliana's was closed and he guessed she was still asleep so he continued towards the only open door which was the room he had been sleeping in for the past few days – Gia's room.