Chapter Thirty Four: Moriah, Part Three

It was forty-three minutes later when they pulled into the cemetery. Monica stared down at her scuffed boots. Neither of them had said a word the entire way there. 

The re-playing wouldn't stop. Over and over, pounding against the walls of her brain. All the moments she brushed off. The signs she ignored. All the times she could have worked harder, tried harder, just. . . done something. 

Anything. 

But she couldn't mope forever, because as the truck rumbled to a stop, Castiel got out and punched the hood several times, jolting her from la-la land. 

He must be venting, she thought, wondering if perhaps she should step out as well. 

Maybe she should just sit here. 

Maybe she'd done enough. 

But she got out anyway. I've never listened to the voice of reason before. Monica hopped out and stepped back. She lifted her face to the golden sun. The sky was too blue and pure, the leaves were too bright, the birds were too cheerful. 

It was like getting mocked. Everything carrying on all happy and sweet, when everything she knew hung in the balance. 

If she still had powers, she might snap her fingers and bring on some clouds. Maybe a rainstorm, with thunder so loud it made people scream. Maybe the birds would fall dead from the trees, and the leaves would shrivel up and die. 

She gently touched her palms and swallowed back a pang of remorse. What the hell is happening to me? she thought. God, I'm going insane. 

Monica thought about collapsing right then and there. Let all the rage and tears she'd held back spill over. 

She almost did, until her brother appeared in front of her.

"Jack," Monica breathed. She started to extend her hand, then pulled back. 

Then she threw herself on top of him, because it didn't matter what happened to her anyway at this point. "I've been looking for you," Jack said and squeezed her in return. 

Monica thought about not letting go. Just stay here, in this moment. If time doesn't change, nothing else can. But she pulled away, and let Castiel have his turn. 

"Jack, what happened?" Castiel asked, and they began to walk.

"Well, I busted out of the box, because I was angry. And then I left because I needed--I needed to be alone. And I thought I could make the world a better place if people couldn't lie."

"Well, we learned that lesson the hard way," Monica muttered. 

Jack glanced at her and moved her hair out of her eyes. "Yeah. And I went to see my grandparents."

"The Klines.'" Castiel said.

"Yeah, I thought they liked me. Maybe they'd still like me." Jack was silent for a minute.

"And?" his sister coaxed, leaning up on her toes. 

"My grandmother said I killed her -- my mom. And I did. Just by being born."

"Jack. . . " Castiel started.

Monica didn't try to stop him. She thought about her own mother plenty of times. Though, to Monica, mother was the wrong title. She was just an unfortunate woman who happened to birth the daughter of satan. 

"I used to hate myself for it. But I don't feel that way anymore," Jack said.

Monica felt a twinge of fear in her stomach. They stopped walking.