The Old School

Jason sat on the couch beside Daniela, his arm around her shoulder as she talked to him. It was a nice day, for once, and the window was sitting open in front of them. Something glinted in Jason's eye. It was only for a split second but it caught his attention. "Hey, sorry, did you see that?" he asked her. "See what?" she asked curiously, turning to look out of the window Jason was staring out of. He saw it again. It was like a reflection of something metal. "The glint. In the tree. Just there," he pointed at the exact spot on the tree where Pia sat, aiming her arrow right at Daniela's eye. "It's probably just some rubbish reflecting the sunlight. It's nothing," Daniela assured him.

 He was just believing her when he heard the whoosh. In a second he was in front of Daniela and the arrow was lodged directly in his sternum. "Jason!" she shrieked as he fell. "It's nothing, just a flesh wound," he said meekly, as he leaned against the couch. Daniela was just about to put her hand over the 'flesh wound' to quell the bleeding when the sizzling started. First, the hole in his t-shirt started widening sizzling and burning away. Then the poison got to work on his skin, burn it away and disintegrating all the flesh around the arrow. Tears flowed freely from Daniela's eyes as she watched her boyfriend die on the couch.

Jason gritted his teeth against the searing pain in his chest and tried to ignore the fact it was getting nearer and nearer his heart. When it reached the vital organ, Jason stopped tensing and relaxed, his nerves stopping working as he slowly died. "Jason, no, what's happening? Help! Help!" her thoughts raced. How did this happen? It all happened so fast she didn't even know what was going on. "Help!" she called again to no avail. 

Meanwhile, Pia sat in a huff. Her orders were to kill the girl first, and that big guy had jumped in the way. She took aim again, this one going for Daniela's eye with no one to jump in the way. It hit her just as Pia planned and she fell, dead, on what was left of Jason's chest. She hadn't poisoned this one. There was no way she'd miss this time. She placed her bow on the branch beside her and pulled her phone from her pocket.

"It's done. I had a complication, the guy died first," she said simply.

"Did they die in each other's arms?" came the female voice on the other end of the line.

"Yes."

"Then it's fine."

The phone hung up and Pia stashed her bow back in its case and jumped from the tree. She left the estate in no hurry, it would be hours before the police found them anyway.