Something More (Part 2 of 2)

Immediately After

There you were, by the door of the bar you called your home away from home, looking at the girl at the end of the bar.

That couldn't be her, right?

Except it was.

Normally this was the place you'd go to get your mind off this very girl. Perhaps she was having an affair!! Maybe she was waiting for a girl to show up. Someone much prettier, and far more interesting than yourself, you thought lowly.

Contrarily, Pattie was really looking for you! You didn't think it could be true as you watched her order another drink.

For that girl, no doubt... You thought, looking away from her and at the ground, kicking yourself for coming here tonight.

That is, until you looked up to a relocated Boyd, sitting right in front of you and handing over a shirley temple, non-alcoholic of course.

You chuckled, partly out of bewilderment, partly out of the joy of realizing she was waiting for you.

"(Y/n), just the girl I wanted to see!" Pattie beamed.

"How'd you know I'd be here?"

"I asked all of your friends, silly."

Your face heated up. Wow, she thought of me? And put in the time to ask my friends for me...

"Oh."

Pattie's smile slowly fell.

"Are you alright?" she asked, wondering if she did something wrong. She placed her delicate right hand over your dominant one, rubbing your thumb in a thoughtlessly kind sort of way.

You were staring at the floor, embarrassed and not quite knowing what to say. Those are some cute socks... Don't say that!

"Socks.."

"I'm sorry?" Boyd asked, now thoroughly confused.

"N-nothing," you tried to get out.

shit shit shit shit shit

"Don't worry about it," Pattie said, looking everywhere but at you.

She was struggling too. Slowly, she retracted her hand, as if it would upset you if she kept at it.

God, I would do anything to feel her touch.
...
Of her hand on mine of course!! Get your head out of the fucking gutter, (Y/n)!!!

Dirty thoughts got the best of you as you could feel your face somehow turn redder than before.

She explained how George and her were just really good friends, and that it was mostly their agents' doing to get the two of them some good publicity. You were astonished, she played the part so well. Still, you were unconvinced that she could ever love you in the way you wanted. No, needed.

How cruel life is, giving you just a taste of what you want, of what you feel you deserve, only to redact it at the last second.

You snapped out of it, realizing she was speaking to you. Eyes widening, you asked her to repeat the question.

"You're so silly sometimes, (Y/n)... I asked if you would like to consider this a date."

Boyd's face was also a bit pink, but she seemed to hold her own. Grenadine syrup, that is. You barely processed what she was saying.

Date?

Hours passed. Of course you said yes. You could never say no to her. So smart, so thoughtful. You knew beauty was no object, but by God, she was breathtaking. You spent this time catching up on your unspoken feelings, clearing up past gestures that almost meant something, but never progressed.

You two decided to
take it outside. She held onto your hand, glancing over at you with affection clouding her airy gaze. She could never stay on the ground, could she.

You stood on the patio, surrounded by women young and old. It was refreshing to see love so open, although it certainly wasn't like this off the premises.

The fresh air was sobering, but you were both drunk with affection. You sat down on a bench lined with puffy pillows and billowing blankets. Cozy. It was raining, but under the bar's protective canopy you were safe from the droplets.

The pitter-pattering of the water added to the hazy atmosphere. The air was fragrant with mingling perfumes and flora, notes of wet wood, cigarettes, and beer lingered the closer you were to the open door.

Turning to her, you asked if you could do something, your face once again, red.

Knowingly, she closed her eyes and gently pushed her lips together, awaiting your light touch. You hesitated.

Meeting her was one thing, but falling in love with her was the hardest thing you had to stop yourself from doing. At least now you didn't have to stop yourself. You were deep in thought, and she asked what was taking so long, but you were already leaning in to kiss her.

You could almost see the sparks around you crackle as you felt the warmth from her lips latch onto your own. You could feel her smile against you. Magic, you swore.

You pulled away early, afraid you would lose yourself in her touch.

Soon, your legs entangled in the bench, as Pattie leaned into your neck, giving it a light peck with her soft lips. Oh how you wish they were on yours once more, but you fell into a light bliss as she did it again, and again, and again. You reciprocated the emotion by gently running your hand over her knees, spiraling your affections for each other. Sure the weather was cold and rainy, but your heart was a sauna of emotion for the girl in your arms.

The title of Pattie Boyd's best friend wasn't always the greatest. But now, you could call her yours, and that was perfectly alright with you.