As she parked at the mall, her phone rang. Seeing it was Lily she answered. "Hi sweetie."

"Hi Mom. I'm off tomorrow and I thought I would come visit."

"Daddy's taking me to a special dinner tomorrow night. It's the anniver..."

"Oh, the night of the party when you saw each other across the room! Your amazing love story! I have to work the next morning, so I'll just leave when you go to dinner."

"Alright, but I'm not sure what there is to do."

"We could make cookies. It is Christmas."

Michelle smiled because it was what she had been missing making cookies with Lily. "I'm going to the store. I'll get some ingredients."

"Great. I'll come early and we can go for coffee."

"Perfect!"

She found a dress at the second store she tried. It was a green wrap dress fancy enough for dinner out. The v-neck line showed just enough it would entice Rob across the table and the thought excited her. She stopped in the lingerie department and it was time for a new bra and panties both in black.

Feeling good about her purchases, she cruised through the grocery store. She shopped enough in the summer the store was familiar to her. She added the extra items for baking in her cart. She didn't have her recipes, but could find one on the internet. She'd make sauce and pasta hoping Rob wasn't planning an Italian restaurant. She bought the ingredients for Rob's favorite soup and enough other food to put together a few other lunches and dinners. She would worry about shopping for Christmas over the weekend when it was closer.

When she arrived home ladened with grocery bags, Rob was on his laptop. It really didn't surprise her he was working. Still, he jumped up right away and went to bring in more bags.

"Did you buy cement?"

"Flour and sugar. Lily called me she's coming to visit tomorrow and we're going to make cookies. I hope it's okay?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"I told her about our date, so she'll leave before we go out."

"Good, because it's best she's not here when we come home. You are awfully loud."

Michelle felt a blush take over her cheeks. "Will you stop teasing me?"

"I'm sorry, but you are adorable when you blush." He leaned over and kissed her.

Oh my God, she felt like they were on a honeymoon.

"Did you find a dress?"

"Maybe." She could tease too.

"I don't get a preview?"

"Nope. You aren't the only one who has a surprise." She worked to unload the bags. "Were you working?"

"Not really, I was just poking around the internet. There's always something to read."

"You didn't even check your email?"

"Well maybe, but only so it won't be piled up when I get back. I really want to work less. I just haven't figured out how."

"I want to be more understanding."

"I know." Rob pinned her against the counter and kissed her.

Later they bundled up and walked down to the beach. The dunegrass was brown and sparse. There was snow near the dunes but not on the beach. The surf had lapped any snow away. It was hard to reconcile the dark water from the warm sun sparkled water and shimmering sand of summer.

The wind was icy and Rob put his arm around Chellie to shield her. They walked as far as the town lot before cutting across the asphalt to Shore Road. Instead of turning around they continue the loop to River Road past the shuttered ice cream and clam shacks and The Landing.

The Point felt like home to Michelle. It connected her to the memories of her parents, as well as those wonderful summers raising Robbie and Lily.

When they returned to the cottage the warmth kissed her skin. The sauce she had left simmering scented the air. Rob put his arms around her as she sliced the bread.

"Careful. Don't distract me. I have a knife."

"I like that my presence distracts you. It hasn't always."

Was he right? There were times when she was too busy to be distracted, but her body had awoken.

"You can distract me later. An injury would ruin our evening."

He stepped back. "I can't risk it. I'll pour some red wine."

Chellie laughed. "I think your chances were pretty good without the wine."

Rob smiled. He was happy, relaxed, and handsome. The night ahead was bound to be perfect.