Chapter 3: More Than Just a Crush

Start from the beginning

    "Sweetheart, you are beautiful. You are the only thing I see that reads beauty. Not your looks. Your personality. A guy would be crazy not to love you for a second." She touched my hand, rubbing it which was comforting.

   "It's funny... you and dad say the same things to me. Is the truth? Or is it a lie? Am I beautiful?" I asked feeling silly.

    "Yes, honey. You are beautiful. This is coming from the bottom of my heart. As your mother. Flesh and blood. I mean I gave birth to you sixteen years ago. And I knew you even then. And I still do. And I always will." She said.

      I smiled, feeling hot all of a sudden. I took a sip from my juice now and then I took another bite into my toast.

    "What do you think dad is doing right now?"

     "Maybe sky diving." She chuckled, and I frowned with confusion.

    "What?" I giggled in disbelief.

   "Your dad is a very adventurous person. When I met him he craved diving into a quarry. So I'm only guessing." She said.

    "Why?"

        Then the phone rang which was her house phone not her cell phone. She had gotten up after placing down her cup.

   "Intuition, Emma." She said before answering the phone. "Hello?"

      The second she picked it up I could see it was dad by the expression on her face. She rolled her eyes at whatever he was saying. She looked at me giving me the dreadful look that read, kill-me-now look. I giggled quietly and she just listened to whatever the hothead had to say.

    "Yeah, I understand. Yeah okay Edward. But you know you really are a selfish person. I mean what if I had made plans? No I'm not going all the way back to Santa Monica. Oh come on you know perfectly well why I hate going to the house in the first place. You know what..." she hesitated as he spoke and she listened and then she interrupted him. "NO NO NO that is not the reason. You just assumed. You really are self centered amp. I cannot take your pathetic bullshit. You know what... fine I will do it. Okay? Just don't make it a big deal before I change my mind." And she remained quiet and I heard dad's voice incoherently. "Yeah, okay. Bye." She hung up the phone.

       She pressed her hand against her forehead and then she started to breathe heavy like it was all too much. I wanted to cry for her. She gets all worked up whenever dad calls or if she talks to him.

    "What's wrong, mom? What happened?" I got up walking over to her.

    She hesitated. "Your dad is back from Rome."

     "HE IS?" I jumped excitingly.

Mom nodded. And I am glad because dad is two days late. He was supposed to be home by the 14th but it's the 16th and I'm glad he's finally back. And of course, I knew dad and Colleen probably got the truck moving everything to the house. So I can imagine that he just got home and is already doing things. And I smiled, but then I knew mom had to drive me all the way back home. And mom doesn't like to go to the house or see it. Dad is probably too busy with unpacking and helping Colleen move.

"If it's too much... I can just have Peach pick me up or I can call a cab." I suggested, which she had just shook her head in disapproval.

"No, Emma. I will drive you. It's not a big deal. I mean that house holds a lot of memories. I just haven't been there since I left." She said.

"Okay. I'm just gonna go get ready." I said.

I took my plate off the table and I had washed and rinsed it and then placed it in the dishwasher. And right after, I had gone back upstairs going to my room getting ready right away. I was nervous and of course I smiled to myself with anxiety of going to see dad after his honeymoon. I wondered what he would be like or how he is?