Chapter 3: More Than Just a Crush

Start from the beginning

      I actually laugh thinking of how crazy Grandma gets. And mom just goes with whatever she says. My Grandma's standards a very high. When Grandpa's are very low. And he actually cried through the entire wedding ceremony. But another thing when dad was getting married mom had a cookout with her friends, there was wine and cheese and fruits involved along with grilled ribs and chicken on the grill with pesto pasta. And it was her friends. That night mom was drinking. And she was pretty tipsy when I got in after Christopher dropped me off. She went to bed before me. I didn't go to sleep until after one in the morning. I had too many things on my mind.

       I stared at the table and just was curious so I enjoyed the toast where I put strawberry jam on it and I took a bite which was in fact amazing. More amazing than pizza that I had to order in after mom left and dad would be out with Colleen. And I just thought this toast was good. Outside the window, I could hear birds singing. And it was lovely.

     I saw how mom looked pretty speechless and wasn't sure what to talk about and she just smiled at me before sipping her coffee.

   "How did you sleep?" I decided to ask her, since she asked me.

   "I had quite the night. Tossing and turning. I didn't sleep till three in the morning. But it's the insomnia. But don't worry. I'm fine." She assured me at the end.

     It's her depression. And since the divorce she's had hard nights. The only time she can sleep is when she's drunk or tipsy. I stared at how ridiculous everything became after she and dad divorced.

    "Did Grandma call last night? I thought I heard you on the phone." I brought up to her, folding my napkin.

    "Yes, honey. She did at about eleven thirty last night." She rolled her eyes jokingly which I giggled at her sense of humor.

   "What did she have to say?"

   "The usual." Mom started. "Your father's happiness is a nightmare. And it's all a mistake. And she thinks your dad and I are soulmates. And she believes us. But I told her that we're divorced and it's over. But I think I know where you get it from now." She chuckled at the end.

    "Grandma says that Colleen is all money hunger and just someone to cling on." I said, but I didn't believe that accusation at all.

    "Wow." Mom sat back in shock.

I know mom doesn't think that of Colleen. Like I said, dad can read people easily. He can spot a liar miles away. He's very observant and that's why my mom fell in love with him. But his control is what made her fall out of love with him. And I know my dad pretty well. I don't think Grandma knows her own son very well. Because I know my dad as good as a book. And he wouldn't have married Colleen if it was all for money. A greatest superpower of dad's is spotting a liar. So if Colleen was only marrying him for money... dad would have caught it right away.

      To avoid the awkwardness I just took a sip my juice and I glanced at mom who seemed a little confused about Grandma's concerns, talks and gossip. One time Grandma invited mom for afternoon tea a week after dad told Grandma he and mom divorced. I only know because it was a Saturday and I spent the weekend at mom's. And Grandma wanted a lot of information about their divorce and it's still unclear what happened. So we're in the same boat because I don't even know. But sketchy is going about it. Their entire divorce is confusing that I ask myself questions of it.

       I gotta say the strawberries were extremely good. And I just took a big one in my mouth, while loving the juiciness to it. Meaning they are fresh. And I smiled at mom so she didn't have to worry about anything.

     "So how are Peach and your friends lately?" She broke out into asking, holding her coffee mug in her two hands.

    "Their all great. But you know what... Peach and I feel so left out. I mean Victoria and Mandy have two great boyfriends. And I just watch with envy. I mean I used to have this wicked crush on Luke. But now I learned to not think of him like that because Victoria is with him. I mean I do love my friends. But I have complete unhappiness. Not to mention dad getting married. And you and dad no longer together. Where do I get happiness? What guy could possibly love a girl like me anyways?" My voice got so gentle and raspy that I think mom probably didn't hear me clearly at the end.