T h i r t y - O n e

Start from the beginning

The blond liked Manon. Not only because Timothée fancied her, but because she truly had great potential and a lovable personality. There was no doubt she was going through a lot, but to say she didn't try her best to get better would be denying the truth. Despite the sadness that seemed to constantly course through her veins, there was a sense of purity, of joy, that constantly surrounded her. It was something so sweet, so sincere, that had made him bond with her all the more.

"Of course. I must meet this Elizabeth you always speak of. And your kids need to meet their new distant aunt" Manon smiled, recalling all of the moments in which she had spoken to his family through his phone. She couldn't quite explain it, perhaps it was her naivety or her close relationship with him, but she had a feeling they were good people. In a way, she looked up at Armie, for having such a good family, or a family at all. It could have been a lucky draw, a mere coincidence, but nevertheless, she didn't know for sure, and she couldn't help but admire him anyways. The girl wished she could experience having a family one day, knowing she might have missed the chance to have a functional family as a child, but also knowing there would be no chance she would let it out of her grasp in the future. 

"You're officially invited to all the birthday parties" Armie announced as he rested both his hands on her shoulders, as though she had just been assigned an important mission.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world" Manon beamed at him, showcasing the genuineness of her soul to the blond, something she didn't do often but found herself having a hard time resisting at that very moment. She trusted him, a little too much for her liking, but alas, she couldn't do much about it. In a way, he made her feel safe, as though there would always be a place that would accept her with open arms, without judgment, or at least, to a certain extent, so long as she kept her deepest secrets deep beneath the surface. 

"Wouldn't miss what for the world"? Timothée joined into the farewell conversation as he appeared from the building the duo leaned on, having taken longer than expected with saying his goodbyes to the crew that remained inside. He held two handles in his hands as two suitcases followed him suit lightly. 

"A children's party, I'm sure you'd fit right in" Manon teased, referring to Timothée's easygoing personality that made him blend with anyone he really wanted to. She lacked the optimism he had for the majority of the time, there was no doubt she managed to scare quite a few kids throughout her life. Timothée was different though, he had a light people connected to, something that pulled them closer, made them want to investigate him further. After all, she knew about the effect he had on people more than anyone else. 

"Oh yeah, I don't doubt that" Timothée mumbled agreeably as he let go of the suitcases and rested his arm around Manon, pulling her closer to him "So, I guess this is it"? He asked, his demeanor calm, almost too calm. There was no denying he felt a storm swirl around his whole body, but he knew he wasn't the only one, he knew he had to stay calm, for showing too much emotion or making a scene wouldn't assist anybody. It surprised him, how these people all managed to become so meaningful to him. It was truly a wonder. It made him all the more hopeful about what life had to offer, about the connections people could make and what they meant to each other, but it made him sad, too, for his heart ached a bit at the thought of going back to his normal life upon the end of his trip in France and his return back to New York, he knew he would miss all of them, all of the memories that carved themselves into his brain.  

Having Manon by his side, her touch against his had greatly calmed him. He knew he wasn't alone, he knew he had her, and it definitely helped. The longer he held her, the more he could feel his heartbeat return back to its normal rate and his breathing become less of an attempt to stop his body from collapsing.