Absolute silence surrounded us as we continued to walk for another ten minutes. At first, I kept telling myself it was just my mind playing ticks with me. The farther we went though, the stronger my gut feeling pushed against my stomach. Until I finally couldn't deny the hunch anymore.

We were lost.

When Rob had first mentioned the tunnels to me, I expected a single tunnel leading out of the castle. What actually awaited us down here, however, was a labyrinth of tunnels and crossings.

Not even half a minute later, I gave up. I stopped and leaned against the nearest wall, ignoring the thin spider webs that entangled into my hair and clothes. I was too tired to continue. "This was a stupid idea."

"It was your idea." Rob stopped a step behind me while avoiding touching any of the spider webs.

I shone my flashlight at him and expected to find him even more uneasy than I felt. He had, after all, a mate to think of. Instead he wore a blank expression that could almost be described as bored.

"Aren't you worried that we might be stuck down here for days?" I ran my free hand up and down the other arm, trying to create some friction. Now that we had stopped the coldness of our surrounding was starting to bite into my skin.

"No, I'm sure Zara will find us sooner or later."

At the mention of his mate a light bulb ignited inside my head. Of course. Zara was a werewolf, which made it possible for her to locate us using our scents. And it was even more likely that Rob had already mind-linked her for help.

However, minutes ticked by and nothing happened. No one came hurrying down the tunnel to save us. And the longer we stood there, the fiercer the bites of the cold grew. Despite wearing a long-sleeved shirt, it was still made out of a thin material that did nothing to keep me warm.

My patience snapped and I decided to do this another way. But first I needed to distract Rob. "How do you think your girlfriend will be able to find us down here?"

"I...hmm..." Instant realization flickered in his eyes. He couldn't possibly explain his statement; not without exposing the supernatural world.

To make things even more uncomfortable, I kept both my flashlight and my eyes focused straight on him. As expected, it didn't take him long to move a few steps farther down the tunnel.

"Why don't we give the search another shot?" He kept his back to me.

Without complaining, I disentangled myself from the spider webs and followed his lead. I made sure he was facing away from me when I took in a deep breath. Then I allowed the always shimmering magic to break through the surface of the barrier that the masking potion created.

I almost laughed at how easy it was. No matter how much time passed, summoning magic still felt like coming home after a long trip. Because my affinity was air magic, there was only one way I could think of doing this.

With Rob still walking in front of me, I extended my hand and allowed my magic to form into a swirl of air. A strong burst of wind shot from my palm and caused Rob to stumble as it clashed against his back.

"What the—" He barely stopped himself from tumbling down to the ground.

While he struggled to regain his balance, I felt the burst of air travel forward. It spread among the various tunnels until it reached a hole it could escape through.

This could only mean one thing. An exit.

"What was that?" Rob spun around.

"What was what?"