An Unwelcoming

"So, what made you want to offer this deal to me?" I asked him. He looked down at me as we were walking through the hallways to our world history class, which coincidentally we had together. "I've seen people go through the same thing as you. People that I cared about a lot." He got a look in his eye that told me he was remembering something - someone. "I haven't done this with anybody, so you better count yourself lucky!" He told me. I giggled a little. "I'll be counting my lucky stars." I looked up at him. "But really, thank you. I appreciate what you're doing for me." He seemed a little stunned by my genuine appreciation, but overall happy. "It's fine." 

We reached our class and he held the door open for me as I went in. There were about 15 students already in there, some seated, some sitting on desks talking to their friends, others drawing things on the blackboard with chalk. However, they all stopped to look at me and Young-Do, like some sort of bomb had gone off right where we were standing. They didn't stay silent though. They started talking to each other, mentioning Young-Do and the "new girl." It felt a little weird to be the center of attention and I didn't necessarily like it. 

I backed up a little bit and bumped right into Young-Do's chest. "Yah, why are you just standing around? Pick out some seats for us." He complained. "Oh, right, sorry." I picked up my feet and started walking to the middle of the room. There were two seats right next to each other, one next to the window. I smiled. "Is here good?" Young-Do looked at me and smiled, almost like he expected me to choose these seats. "Yeah, here's fine." I set down my books on the desk and hung my schoolbag from my chair. I sat down and immediately fixated my attention out the window. 

There were beautiful, tall, green trees right outside. Down below, you could see all the students walking to their classes, the big water fountain in the middle, and the bustling activity on the streets. I smiled. This seemed like such a nice place. Well, minus what happened this morning. But now I have somebody to take care of that for me. I looked back at Young-Do to see him in conversation with some girl. She had long brown hair with bangs that came just before her eyes and she was wearing the school uniform with a few of her added embellishments, such as a headband, jewelry, etc. She was scowling at him, and was pretty soon scowling at me. 

"What do you think you're doing with her?" She whispered-yelled to him. "Don't try to get in my business." He growled. Whoah, they obviously were not friends. "I don't think your father would approve." She crossed her arms and smirked at him, feeling like she had won. He smirked right back. "How about you go talk to Kim Tan about it?" She froze in place, her jaw dropped. She huffed and quickly scurried to her seat, not giving us a second look. I leaned over. "Who's Kim Tan?" I asked him. "Her ex. Not an amicable breakup." Oof. "Wow...does that happen a lot?" "Almost every day. And with you around? Count on it." I felt a sick feeling in my stomach before settling into my seat. Apparently my sickness was visible because Young-Do looked at me and winked. "But your bodyguard will protect you." I chuckled a little before looking straight ahead at the teacher beginning the lesson. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was packing up my stuff to head to the next class. Young-Do had to leave to go to his English class, whereas I was heading to science. That's fine, I didn't need my bodyguard absolutely 24/7. What could possibly happen in the time span that he was gone? 

A heard somebody clear their throat right behind me. I turned around to see the same girl that was talking to Young-Do. Uh-oh. "Hey, new girl." Her tone was very hostile, not so much that she wanted to talk to me but she wanted to tell me off. That was just my guess anyways. "Hey. What's up?" I nervously chuckled. She started walking closer to me, her high heels loudly clacking behind her. Her eyes narrowed at me, giving off an icy cold stare. "Is everything okay?" I asked her. "What are you doing with Young-Do?" My guess was right. "We just met and became friends. What's the problem here?" I decided not to tell her about the bodyguard business. She didn't need to know. I didn't trust her at all. 

"You know you're not his type, right? At all." "What's it to you, are you his girlfriend or something?" I asked, not wanting to take any more of this crap. "Never mind about that. Who are you to ask me these kinds of questions?" She snapped. "I should say the same to you." I retorted. I stunned her for a second. I guess she wasn't used to people biting back. "Just stay away from him if you know what's good for you." She stormed out of the classroom, her heels clicking away. I sighed, hugging my arm. I didn't have to worry about her. Young-Do was my bodyguard! He could take care of anything. 

I walked out of the classroom to see Young-Do leaning against the wall. He was looking around until he saw me. He smiled and walked up to me. "Let's go." He grabbed my wrist and started heading towards the exit. "W-Wait, what happened to your class?" I asked, startled. "I'm skipping. And you are too." Who decided on this? "Skipping? I've never done that all my life!" "Well, here's your first." He winked at me and kept going. "Besides, there's something I wanted to show you." I sighed. There was no talking him down. I'm sorry, mom, I promise I'm a good student. 

I looked back to the classrooms while we were walking and saw a pair of eyes staring at us from behind a window. I looked down and saw the heels. I stopped straddling behind Young-Do and grabbed his hand, pulling myself closer to him. He was momentarily stunned by the sudden closeness, but he kept going. "What, did you see a monster?" He joked. I laughed with him and looked back at that girl. 

"Sort of.."