The Finale

I looked at myself in the mirror. My baby blue, knee-length dress was perfectly complemented by my white heels. My hair was curled and for once, my makeup looked great. I smiled at myself. Today was going to be one of the best days of my life.

"Seo-yun! Come downstairs already! Do you want to be late for your graduation?" I grabbed the duffel bag sitting on my bed, which contained my graduation gown and cap, and rushed down the stairs. I stopped and smiled when I saw my mom in a beautiful, simple white dress. Her hair and makeup was classic, her jewelry was beautiful, and she was shining brighter than ever. "Of course I won't be late!" I laughed. "It's only one of the most important days of my life." My mom smiled and sighed. 

"I can't believe my little baby is graduating. Has it already been 19 years?" She sighed, putting a hand to my face. "Look how you've grown in such grace and beauty. I am so proud of you, my daughter." I smiled, fighting back the tears that were threatening to spill over. I hugged my mom tightly. "Thank you for being so strong, mom. Even when we were alone and living at the hotel, you kept going. Thank you." We let go and looked around the place. 

We had only started living at our brand new apartment for two weeks, but we still were giddy whenever we looked around the place. Even though Zeus Hotel was a nice, luxury hotel, it was never home. This modest apartment in downtown Seoul? Now this is home! It was all thanks to Young-do that we found it. After all, he did know the realtor that helped set us up in it. 

Wait. Young-do! 

"Mom, I have to go meet Young-do! I have to make sure he's ready for the graduation ceremony. Remember how I said we'd meet you over at Jeguk High?" My mom nodded. "Of course, don't worry, your old mom isn't going to show up with your boyfriend and get you all embarrassed." I felt my cheeks go red. It was so weird for my mom to call Young-do my boyfriend, even though he had been for a while. "G-Got to go! Love you, mom!" I raced out of the apartment and nimbly ran down the stairs and out of the complex. The beautiful, bustling city of Seoul continued to glisten around me, reminding me that after today, this would be my world too. I couldn't wait!

I walked down the streets of Seoul, admiring the colorful buildings on the street. I turned my head to the right and couldn't help but break out in a smile. I looked up at the convenience store where Young-do and I got ramen. I never knew that just one little store would hold such good memories for me. I pressed on, reminding myself of my end goal to meet Young-do. I looked down at my phone, re-reading the text he sent me. 

Today's the day we get out of Jeguk High forever. Let's make this day the best, Seo-yun. 

I smiled at his sentiments, then shut off my phone and kept walking. I came to a cross walk and pressed the button to walk. As I was waiting for all the cars to finish turning, I heard a very familiar sound of clacking heels coming up to me.

I looked over to see Rachel standing next to me. She turned to me, a shocked look on her face. "Seo-yun." She breathed. I gave a cordial smile to her. "Hello, Rachel." I looked at her. She was wearing a bright red dress, black high heels, and was adorned with beautiful silver earrings and a bracelet. Her hair was perfectly styled, as usual, sitting straight up to her chest. 

Despite all the animosity and hostility, ever since that day when I stood up to her for the first time myself, things had been different. For weeks, she never even spoke to me. As I continued to hold my ground, over time she started to acknowledge me again. But not in a bad way! She would give me little head nods, sometimes a cordial smile, and recently she started to greet me with, "Seo-yun," when we passed each other in the halls. It wasn't ideal, but considering where we were so long ago, I was glad to have this kind of relationship with her.