45. Truth Be Told

Start from the beginning

"Matthias?" Elianna wasn't understanding the situation. 

"It's either you stay here or I'll go with you," Matthias said firmly, turning he was about to tell Ray something.  

Elianna rushed down the stairs to hold him back by his arm, she asked, "At least explain to me why you're being as such?" 

"You, really—" Matthias exhaled. "It's a long story, I'll just be there to assist the situation with Sir Tristan." 

"You don't have to go!" she argued. 

He gripped her arm in return and said firmly, "I have to and I'm going with you. Since I cannot tell you what to do, neither can you, Elianna." 

"Matthias!" she gasped in horror. 

Rowan •

When did the two of them get so close? 

A nagging feeling of unease and displeasure rose in him as he held his fists tightly against his sides. He heard her calling Matthias by his name and that proved that they had become close enough for them to be addressing each other without honorifics and titles. Still, pushing his anger aside to think rationally, it would do Elianna good to have Matthias with her. 

Because of the Thethian princess, he couldn't leave the Royal Grounds and could only allow Tristan and Kaylon to follow her. If Matthias went with her, she would've more people escorting her and protect her if anything arose. Matthias and his knights were all skilled fighters and he would honestly feel more at ease. Exhaling a sigh, Rowan pinched the bridge of his nose in slight annoyance as he requested, "Please follow Doctor Everson." 

"Alright, permission granted. I'm definitely going now!" Matthias jumped triumphantly. 

"We are not going to have fun!" she complained. 

Right in front of him, Matthias tugged on her arm as he tried to drag her out to the carriage. A wave of dark emotions ripped out from within him and his feet shuffled down the steps and pulled on her arm, hard. 

Elianna •

"Your Highness?" She spun around and breathed in surprise. Behind her, she felt Matthias dropped her hand and when her head turned to look at Matthias, she saw that he was smiling widely at Rowan with two hands raised on his sides, showing his empty palms.

"Please stay safe." Rowan's blue eye brimmed with sadness and insecurity. His grip tightened around her arm and she felt him trembled slightly. She could feel her heart pounding harshly in her chest and his expression caused a heavy-weighted pressure squeezing within her. Her feet pivoted around as she stepped closer to him. She placed her hand in his as she guided him back into the large foyer, away from everyone. 

"Rowan," she whispered. "I'll be alright. Please do not worry." 

Even her words seemed to have little effect because he kept his gaze down. Thick lashes shielded his eyes and he remained silent while his hand clasped tighter onto hers. 

Her body bent slightly to her side to see behind him and realised that everyone had looked away, granting them some privacy. She giggled softly and she removed the thin piece of satin that concealed half of her face. Her heels raised to the tip of her toes and pecked a light kiss on his lips. Those blue eyes widened in pleasant surprise as they speckled in joy and curiosity. 

"I'll miss you," she blurted out. 

His smile widened on his charming face as he leaned forward to kiss on her forehead. "Wait for me, I'll be right there at the earliest time possible."