"I wouldn't survive?" Amelia's voice rose in anger and she stopped signing. "And so you left me to stay in the orphanage that was nothing more than a life of terror? Night after night I prayed that I wouldn't be the one who was chosen for Stone's weekly beatings, and as each year passed, I wondered what I had done to make my siblings, Robert and Prudence, leave me in that hellhole to rot." Tears streaked down her cheeks as she shook her head. "Bobby, you knew what those people were capable of. You had experienced it firsthand, and yet... you still thought I'd be better off there than with my own brother?"

The man's eyes watered and his chest trembled when he heaved. "Do you honestly think my life turned out any better?" He sniffed. "Look at me, Mellie. I'm a thief. A criminal. I don't know how to live a normal life. But you... you are away from that awful place and it looks like you're doing just fine." His gaze jumped to Gracie. "And you have a daughter – someone who'll love you unconditionally for the rest of your life."

A sob ripped from Amelia's throat as she covered her hands over her face. Her body quaked with her cries, and Duke couldn't stand watching the torture any longer. He rushed to her side took her in his arms, which thankfully, she went willingly. His chest tightened for this woman who had somehow captured his heart.

Theo and Gracie moved toward the fire as the older man stirred the oatmeal in the pot. The girl continued to keep a wary eye on Bobby, though, and Duke knew he should as well.

He placed a kiss on Amelia's forehead. "Come on, let's get you back to the fire to warm up."

Duke stood and helped her to her feet before slipping his arm around her waist for support. They only took two steps toward camp before she stopped and glanced over her shoulder at her brother.

"What's wrong?" Duke asked.

"I don't know whether to have you untie Bobby or not. I don't trust him yet."

"Then we'll leave him tied up." Duke nodded.

Bobby grumbled loudly and struggled harder against the ropes. "Oh, for heaven's sake. Just untie me. I'm not going to hurt anyone."

She moved away from Duke and faced her brother. "You've admitted to being a thief, but tell me, Bobby... have you killed anyone in your life?" She pointed toward the fire pit. "I have a daughter and uncle to care for, so naturally, if you are a threat to anyone here, we're going to keep you tied up."

Bobby sighed heavily. His stare on Amelia was cold and hard. "I've only killed people who deserve to die."

She gasped. "And who are you to be their judge?"

"I am a victim, like you, dear sister. I have also fought my way through my life, and I've done what needed to be done in order to keep alive." He took a breath. "I've killed only those people who had threatened to harm me."

When Amelia's gaze met Dukes, he realized she wanted him to make the decision. Nobody knew he was a bounty hunter, and he wanted to keep it that way for now. However, he also didn't want to get in the middle of a family squabble.

He shook his head. "The decision is yours." He touched her hand and automatically, she grasped it. His heart melted a tiny bit more. "I'll stand behind you in whatever choice you make."

As she stared at him, she breathed quickly and deeply. Her throat jumped when she swallowed hard, and her pretty eyes glistened with unshed tears. After a few moments, she straightened her shoulders.

"Untie him, but keep him away from our guns."

* * * *

Duke kept his eyes on the man walking beside the wagon as they continued to Spruce Hill. After they'd eaten breakfast, Uncle Theo had given Bobby a razor to shave his bushy beard, and a comb to push the long hair out of the man's face. Now at Duke studied him, he could see the resemblance between Bobby and his sister.