Nineteen

Collin

  Alpha Asmodeus agreed. He agreed! I cannot believe it...

I told him about Keir's situation. As I told Alpha Asmodeus, he ordered a guard to grab his quill and a piece of paper. He wrote down an official order to release the two boys Tabari and Akio from the orphanage and into my care, stamping it with his official wax seal.

"I know what it is like to have a pup taken away from me," Alpha Asmodeus said to me.

"I will grant you permission to bring the pups back to the palace where we will give them proper clothing and bedrooms. They will be reunited with their father. You may go now so you can bring them back midday."

"Thank you so much, Your Majesty!"

I hide the paper in the pocket of my coat as I see Keir walking towards me outside the barracks as I was walking to the front of the castle to wait for a carriage to bring me to the orphanage. He wraps his strong arms around me and pulls me into a hug.

"Good morning, Collin."

"Good morning."

"What did the Alpha say?"

"He said he would look into it," I lie. I wanted to surprise him when he came home tonight to find his two pups waiting for him.

"Oh. Well, that is okay," Keir says, looking visibly disappointed. "I am going to head over to the training grounds. I will see you tonight, mate."

Keir captures my lips into a tender kiss. It is a short but sweet kiss. When he pulls away, he smiles at me and pulls me closer to him to give me another hug.

"I am going to go to the market and pick up some things for supper tonight. I will be back later today."

"Alright, be safe. I will see you tonight."

As I watch Keir leave, a carriage pulls up to take me to the orphanage. I take in the carriage's appearance. It is black and gold, a roomy seating area with comfy seats. The windows of the carriage are draped with black fabric to give privacy.

      I climb into the carriage, thanking the driver who holds out a hand for me to steady myself with. The ride down to the orphanage takes a while because of the slightly muddy roads from the rain that came earlier in the morning.

        I watch the scenery change from green pine trees to a bustling town full of people.

       The carriage pulls to a stop at a taller building with wrought iron gates in the front. Stone stairs leading up to the grey building. Small children who sat outside, saw the royal carriage and immediately jumped up to get a glimpse of who was climbing out of it.

      The driver helps me down from the carriage and tells me that he would be waiting. I thank him, looking up when I hear the gates open.

      A portly woman with elegant clothes for a commoner and bright makeup waltzes out and greets me with a smile. Large breasts spilling out of her top fitted dress. She looked much better off than the small, gaunt children surrounding the entrance. The woman's eyes lock onto the royal carriage before taking my hand in hers and kissing it.