˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE RETURNS

. . .

It was propped open by a stick of some sort, and the four boys stared at it, confused. They entered slowly, eyes fixated on the case. 

"It's hers." Remus confirmed, spotting a certain engraving in the now open clasps that had seen after Sirius had pointed the girl out. A muffled humming could be heard from far below them, and deciding to take one for the team, Sirius moved closer to it as behind him, someone pulled open the blinds. 

He towered over the case, staring down at it. It didn't have a bottom - and it seemed to be a tunnel down. There was a ladder following it down - leading to a place he couldn't even imagine. 

"How.. exciting." Sirius looked back at his friends. "There'a ladder." He explained, and was jostled out of the way as the other three tried to get a look. 

"So we just wait?" Remus asked. He seemed a little more worried than the other boys, who found the mystery more exciting. As a prefect, no matter how much he joked about his position, he was slightly concerned about the case and the girl it belonged to. 

"Or we go in. See what's in there - it'll be for the safety of the school y'know." James seemed far too interested in the case to leave it alone, as did Sirius, and Peter and Remus watched from the sidelines, the werewolf shaking his head as he watched his friends.

Remus Lupin was every bit as troublesome as James and Sirius, but he had this image that got people to trust him - including teachers. And as he was made prefect, despite the certain rebellious ways he had become so good at covering up, Remus did need to uphold a certain standard as someone the teachers trusted. 

And although he was extremely interested with this case, he knew that they should probably leave it alone - and the suitcase agreed with them apparently. 

Sirius reached down to the case, and just as he was about to touch it, the lid slammed shut. The Black boy jumped backward, stumbling slightly as others laughed. 

"Not very friendly, is it?" Peter commented, as the case moved by itself into a corner, clearly not impressed with the boy's actions. 

"Waiting for it's owner." Remus shrugged as he pulled Sirius down into a seat, not wanting any harm to come of messing with the suitcase. "I assume she'll be back soon enough, she wouldn't just leave something like this around."

"You sure you don't know her?" James smirked and Remus rolled his eyes. "You're talking like you know her." The Potter boy shrugged.

"Well I assume that nobody would want their stuff touching. And whilst it might just look like a normal suitcase it really isn't, so nobody would just leave it laying around." Remus continued. 

"You're right, they wouldn't." Another voice, definitively more female than any others in the compartment. They all looked towards the case, surprised to see that, whilst they were discussing the whereabouts of it's owner, it had propped itself open again, and the girl that they had seen carrying the case onto the train climbing out of it. 

"So which one of you touched it?" The girl asked, as she crouched down, flicking the clasps for the case shut, picking it up and sliding it onto the metal bars above her head, keeping it safe. 

She looked back towards the four boys, three of them looked pointedly art the rather handsome, dark-haired man, who smirked slightly as she gazed down at him. 

"Nothing good comes of touching things that aren't yours." The girl shrugged, sitting down in the corner. "There are things in there that could bite your whole hand off if- oh just hold still a moment." The girl suddenly said, and Sirius stared at her.

She got up out of her seat and moved over to the boy, leaning over him. He looked over at her, and felt her hand rest on his head. Then the odd sensation of something moving could be felt, and the girl moved away. 

On her hand was the dask of green that Sirius had seen earlier, and his eyes wide, he watched as she sat back down, the green thing dashing off up her arm, and settling in her collar. 

"A bowtruckle." The girl said, seeing the confused looks on all of their faces. "Oh and I'm Nancy Scammander." 

The four of them stared, shocked to see a relative of the man whose name was displayed on one of their many books. 

And already, Nancy Scammander fit her name extremely well.