They walked outside to the place where the water hit the shore. The sun wasn't too bright at that moment, something Artemis was greatly grateful for. Being the twin sister of the sun god was something that made her appreciate every moment where the sun wasn't too potent. The last thing she wanted to remember was that, unfortunately, most mortals remembered her brother much more than her.

"Alright, Percy. This might be hard the first time, but once you get the hang of it, claiming your domains should be relatively easy. Now let's start by something easy. Most gods have some domain related to the outdoors." Artemis began her introduction

"Are you sure? I don't really feel like that's true" Percy interrupted

"Yes, and if you want my help and an arrow-less chest then you won't interrupt me again" Percy nodded at Artemis' violent glare. "Anyways, in order to figure out what your domains are, you need to feel a bond with it. For example, my domain of wilderness makes it possible for me to have direct authority over wild animals. So, if you ever see a deer attack you, it's because I sent it. Same goes to your domain, you should feel tied to it"

"Great, how can I do that?"

"Well first you have to close your eyes and let your soul be independent of your body"

Percy looked at the goddess as if she had just taken some kind of mushroom. How was he supposed to feel his soul independent from his body? Just by the basics of it, if he had a soul that could be separated from his body, it would mean that his body was not his forever. Theoretically, it meant that his soul could find another body that it felt more in sync to and be bound to it thereafter. 

While he didn't particularly understand what Artemis had told him to the fullest extent, Percy closed his eyes and concentrated on his surroundings. The sun burned his skin and the fact that there was no shade made him irritable. There were no animals that calmed him nor was there a special kind of wind that flowed through the island. 

Just as he was about to call the domain seeking to an end, he felt himself levitating off the ground. Nervous, the 16-year-old god opened his eyes, when he found himself looking directly at his body from above. He tried to move his arms but they didn't obey his commands. He noticed how his calm breaths turned nonexistent and how his body fell onto the ground as if he had just fainted. 

"Percy!" He saw Artemis run towards his lifeless body. She checked his pulse and her face turned even more panicked. "Apollo! Please help!" The goddess yelled at the sky. Seconds passed and nobody seemed to come.

"Stupid island" she muttered to herself. 

Percy was having a hard time looking at his friend suffering because of him, so he decided to focus on the task at hand and then help his friend. After all, he could return to his body once his task was completed...he thought. In reality, there was no guarantee that he could return to his body once he found out what his domain was, but it was his only option as of now. 

He concentrated on his surroundings and noticed that the tides seemed to become more violent. Six feet waved hit the shore in a violent way, each more potent than the last. 

"Maybe if I..." Percy began to say as he thrust his hands in direction of the waves. He focused on the current underneath the water surface and how they affected the waves. Using his gut feeling, he calmed himself down, which in turn made the tides calm themselves.

Still, the tides hadn't calm themselves fully. No matter how much he tried, the tides were still not as serene as he wanted. 

"Why is this happening?" he asked himself, using all of his power to calm the reckless tides.