Chapter 6: Curiousity

Seto glanced out the window into the vast emptiness that is the outside world. He couldn't sleep due to the questions that swirled in his mind since that afternoon. Yami has some sort of problem, but he openly denies it. One minute he is the reserved man that some knew as the former pharaoh of Egypt millennia ago, then he's some sort of self-proclaimed prophetic thief the next. What could it-

 It finally clicks in his mind. "Son of a bitch." he mumbles, slightly irritated at the thought. "Yami is born with some sort of derangement. No wonder he seems so confused."

 "You're still up, Seto?" his younger brother mumbles sleepily from his bedroom doorway.

 Seto doesn't turn his head, but gently asks, "Shouldn't you be in bed, Mokuba?"

 "Couldn't sleep." the child yawns. He hears his phone ring. Picking it up and glancing at it, there was a recent text from Yami. Or was it Aedrian. Great, now his head was spinning.

He opened the text and began to read it.

‘Seto, here is a riddle for you:

Only one colour but not one size

Stuck at the bottom, yet easily flies

Present in sun, but not in rain

Doing no harm and feeling no pain

What am I?

“Seto? Who was it?” Mokuba asked, slightly more awake than he was a moment ago.

"It was just Yami. He probably couldn't sleep either." *Either that or he's sleep texting.* Seto thought in disbelief. He soon shrugged it off as a ridiculous notion.

 Glancing at the clock, it read 1:30 am. He decided to turn in, even if was way too early for him to sleep. “Why don’t you go back to sleep, Mokuba?” Seto asked, watching as the younger sibling began rubbing his eyes.

“Okay.” He sighed, too tired to raise any sort of fuss about going back to bed. Seto closed the door and walked towards the bed. He couldn’t help but think how Yami just seemed so secretive in the last few days. But that girl… the blonde child the afternoon before. What was her name…

 Isabelle. Yes, that’s it. She seems to have a connection to Yami. But after the accident, no one has seen her since. What did she mean by those words?

 'She told me to tell you, “This is only the beginning.”’

Only the beginning? The beginning of what, exactly? *Why is everything a fucking riddle with him?* the brunette thought venomously. *Everything seems to be covered in darkness, nothing clear, always something hidden in the shadows of-*

His thoughts froze almost instantaneously. Wait a second… Shadows…

He glanced back at his phone seeing he had left the text open for any and all to see. Reading the bottom of said text was a name. Aedrian.

____________________________________________________________

Yami woke to his 5:00 am alarm. He slowly opened his eyes and scanned the room. He may have been tired, but he couldn’t help feeling a little paranoid at Isabelle’s message. Her message.

The teen gently put his hand on his forehead. Even he could tell that he was getting sick again. After taking a hot shower, he had just finished getting dressed when he heard the doorbell’s soft ringing. Yami walked down and opened the door to Yugi and Joey, who were standing there with bright smiles on their faces.

 “Mornin’ Yami!” Joey greeted.

 “Morning, Joey. *cough* Morning Yugi.” Yami smiled back at the duo.