Chapter 15: The Beginning

That night, Yugi, Ryou, Joey, and Bakura had snuck into Yami's house in search of something. "Guys, we're not supposed to be here!" Yugi whispered.

Ryou shook his head, "It's no use trying to tell Bakura that. He's going to carry this out with or without or help."

"Damn straight I would have!" Bakura chuckled as they make their way to Yami's bedroom

Upon entering, Bakura immediately walked towards the bed and made himself comfortable. "Seriously, Bakura?" Ryou sighed in disbelief. "Is this the only reason you came here?"

"Well," the thief began, "Problem is, I'm not exactly sure what to look for."

Irritated at the collective groans of the others, he merely rolled over just so that he could sleep. That's when he noticed something hidden under the pillow. "Hm?"

Picking up the pillow itself, he found nothing. *What the...* the albino wondered, looking at the pillow to figure out what was hidden in it.

Noticing the thief's sudden confusion, his hikari asked him, *"What is it, Bakura?"*

*"There's something in the pillow, I think,"* he replied back, taking off the pillowcase and watches a black notebook fall out of it. "What's this??" Bakura mumbles as he opens the leather book.

'February 14th, 2004,' it read, 'I've been having a lot of blackouts and memory lapses lately. I think I'm losing my mind...'

"Is this a diary?" Bakura almost giggled, amused by the thought. Then he considered the fact that he, Malik, and the pharaoh had all been reincarnated in this time period. Perhaps he didn't want to forget himself this time.

"Something wrong, Bakura?" Yugi inquired, staring at the black book in his hands. "I'm not entirely sure if this is a problem," he replied.

Ryou looked at the entry his yami had the book opened at. "Hm, interesting," the albino thoughtfully said, "I'll have to take a look at the notebook and everything Yami has written. It may give us a few clues to go off of for this girl that Isabelle mentioned."

Bakura scowled at the mere idea. "I don't know about you three, but from what I hear, this Valencia woman isn't that big of a deal." The others stared at him in disbelief. "Even if she comes after us, what are the chances that she'll make it out alive?"

"Bakura," Ryou sighed, "If even Yami is wary of her, we should be as well regardless of the situation."

"Oh please!" the thief laughed. "The fact that you all believe that she's such a problem is ridiculous." He then glanced at his hikari, "Go ahead and take the damn book. When you're ready, I'll be outside waiting to take you home."

With that, Bakura got up, walked out of the bedroom, and down to the front door. Joey and Yugi exchanged looks, puzzled on how Bakura was so sure that he could deal with this Valencia woman.

"I think it's about time we get going," Ryou suggested, "It's getting late."

"Yeah, we should," Joey agreed.

Ryou continued downstairs and walked over to Bakura's car where a rather impatient thief awaited him. "About time. What took you so long?"

Ryou smiled at him, "Don't worry, I'm here now." He looked up for only a moment to see a black car that seemed to have been in the same place since they got here. Ryou had been over here plenty of times to know that car doesn't belong in this neighborhood.

"I think someone's tailing us, Bakura," he mumbled to him. Seeing the surprised expression, he quickly hopped into the passenger seat.

"Tailing us?" the thief asked, uncertain if his lighter half was telling the truth.

"The black car across the street. I felt that whoever is in there is watching us."

Bakura thought about it. "Well, we'll see if they are. If they follow us halfway back, then I'm going to be breaking a few laws, Ryou."

Receiving a nod of acknowledgement, he started the car and pulled out of the driveway, careful not to hit anything.

Once they started down the usual road back to their place, Bakura kept an eye and ear out on the black car Ryou mentioned before.

"They've made every turn we have made, Bakura." Knowing this fact, Bakura warned him, "Get as low as you can. If they're following us, I don't want you to get hurt."

As Ryou attempted to, Bakura made a sharp left turn and floored it. As soon as he did so, running a red light, the black car that had indeed been following them had followed suit, pursuing them.

"Damn!" the thief growled as he broke 75mph. "Looks like we're going to have to deal with this the hard way!"

Ryou gripped the seat to help him stay low and jumped slightly when he heard gunshots. "They're shooting us?!"

Bakura looked in the rearview mirror to see Valencia herself on the roof of the car. He widened his crimson eyes in shock. "Fuck, it's Valencia!"

Terrified, Ryou unbuckled his seatbelt and hid under the seat itself, regardless of the risk if the car crashed. Bakura weaved through the other vehicles on the road, ignoring a few signs/lights as to avoid getting killed.

It was lucky for them when a drunk driver rammed into Valencia's car. Hearing the faded sound of her curses, Bakura laughed triumphantly as they sped away from sight.

Valencia herself could only sit there and watch the targets get away. "Damn it."

_____________________________________

Once Bakura and Ryou made it back, they bolted inside and shut the door. As Ryou quickly locked the door, Marik glanced their way with shocked brown eyes. "What the Hell happened?!"

"It's a long story," Bakura sighed, catching his breath.

Ryou looked out the window in case anyone was out there looking for them. He nodded to Bakura before closing the curtains so no one could look inside.

"Well, we have all night. Go ahead and tell us."

__________________________________

~A/N: M'kay, welcome to the fifteenth chapter milestone! We are about halfway through with this story! So, how am I doing so far? Let me know! Now, I need to rest since school is coming up for me.

Please Review!!

Next Chapter: Consciousness

"I'm his conscience in a way. I don't expect this to make any sense to you in any way, but I'll explain as much as I can."